Dungeons & Dragons Online Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Game starts lagging after 5 minutes

Hi All,

Was just wondering if anyone else was experiencing lag and if there is a fix for it. i'm on a MacBook Pro, running 10.6.8, nvidia 9400 graphics.

Thanks,

C.

guidry_dream6@videotron.ca wrote:

Was just wondering if anyone else was experiencing lag and if there
is a fix for it. i'm on a MacBook Pro, running 10.6.8, nvidia 9400
graphics.

Lag, like many "client-server" problems is not only difficult to diagnose, but even harder to treat. "Everything" is involved to a greater or lesser degree.

Lag is typically a side effect (ignoring the networking issues) of insufficient memory. It is also a side effect of the "congestion" in any given location at any given time... which also relates to memory.

I haven't used my MacBook Pro for ages since I got my 27 inch iMac... :) However, in general, 4 gig of main memory seems to be needed to eliminate "a lot" of lag symptoms.

I've been playing LOTRO lately, almost zero DDO. I would assume that with the new release, Turbine has "server side" issues as well. I see such things on the LOTRO side regularly.

Both DDO and LOTRO are pretty heavy "graphics users" -- that is to say, the technology used in both is now roughly about 6 years old, and they are constantly swapping in and out large amounts of "graphics" information. This swapping really has less to do with the graphic card itself as it does with reading the new "block" of graphics from your disk and loading it into the graphics memory. Depending upon your toon's actions, you may be CONSTANTLY swapping in new information -- as when you are heading down a road, or bouncing around from one already in memory graphics block as when you are wandering through Stormreach.

So, in short, other than having 4 gig of main memory, (and/or the newest and fastest MacBook Pro with the most memory and a Solid State Hard Drive) I don't have much in the way of recommendations... as far as "game play" is concerned, pick a server and a time that is "lightly used." :)

Hi William,

Thanks for the response :). Fortunately I do have the 4 gigs and the game was running fine until the weekend sooooo it may indeed be heavy traffic that is causing the lag as well as the swapping in of new graphic info. I'm on a late 2008 macbook pro and I think the Intel Core has pretty much reached it's limitations, lol.

Thanks again,

Carol

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiRUp5VkNOZWdyWmJjV1ZSQSIsImdkcHIiOjB9