Dungeons & Dragons Online Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Downloading client_mesh.dat-4794Failed!

Data patching failed result code: 0x80004005

Trying to install the new expansion update and get this error.

Im using Crossover 9.2 on OS X 10.6.8

All was working fine right up to Sundays shutdown before the update.
I have had no issues besides the crash at loading character sheet which was fixed a while back and I have continued to play since.

Has anyone successfully updated in the last 36 hours to the new expansion pack, or any ideas what might cause this error?

I just finished updated with 11.2 -- no problems.

Just re-try "patch".

..note that this title is also now available on Steam...

Thanks for the help guys

I got it installed.
It failed a few more times, but picked up where it left off each time i started to patch again.

It does freeze ALOT while playing the game.
More than before.
Not sure if its a video issue or memory leak.

Just running thru the Marketplace is terrible, and when connecting the first time, the server looses connection and I have to Log back in again before it steadys out.

For those that have installed and playing, are you seeing the same issues?

Saverrio Mattero wrote:

It does freeze ALOT while playing the game.
More than before.
Not sure if its a video issue or memory leak.

Just running thru the Marketplace is terrible, and when connecting
the first time, the server looses connection and I have to Log back
in again before it steadys out.

For those that have installed and playing, are you seeing the same
issues?

I've not been playing DDO for over a year -- spending all my time with LOTRO. I just periodically login to check that things still work.

However, even 2-3 years ago when I was playing regularly, the Stormreach Marketplace was an issue. We have a couple of similar spots in LOTRO -- Bree and now Galtrev. Massive concentration of players in those locations. Logins take forever if you logged out while in those locations. Your toon pops-up but then you get to wait 30-60 seconds before you can move while "everybody else" loads into your field of view. Lag is always a huge issue in those locations.
Similar issues with the PvMP area -- the "Moors" (Ettenmoors.)

The usual "suggestion" for such problems is to "lower your graphics settings."

I suspect, but don't have any statistical info -- The amount of graphics detail from all of the active characters (especially motion, etc.) is a HUGE graphics load all at once. It really taxes everything, especially things like backing store, page space, etc. As you set-up, your system is busily creating all those cache structures on your local machine. Once they've been set-up, subsequent logins have a "head start," and so can complete. So all of the "usual suspects," especially disk speed and "fragmentation" are in play.
For me, I have kind of developed the "Ok, I'll wait a bit" attitude and let things crank, then settle down. Once started, things seem to run pretty well.

Artist Formally Known as Dot wrote:

..note that this title is also now available on Steam...

Somebody needs to describe the relationship between Steam and CO and bottles, etc.

As I see it, Steam is a significant problem waiting to happen -- as all of the individual games will be installed in the same bottle, which implies all kinds of issues.

Guess this needs to be written up as a ticket.

...no, there is no need/stipulation to install all of
one's Steam games into the same bottle ; you can have
as many bottles as you like with Steam installed into
them, and, you can install one, or more than one, game
into a Steam bottle(s)...

...no, there is no need/stipulation to install all of
one's Steam games into the same bottle ; you can have
as many bottles as you like with Steam installed into
them, and, you can install one, or more than one, game
into a Steam bottle(s)...

I did write up a ticket on Steam and DDO/LOTRO -- one of the main questions is -- Will a Steam Install of either one (DDO or LOTRO) work WITHOUT significant "doctoring" -- i.e The Turbine Launcher required .net 4 to run -- WINE does not support it, Therefore one needs to install PyLotRO as a launcher.

Does Steam have its own launcher which circumvents this problem.

Similarly, the normal CrossTie installation of both DDO and LOTRO install an assortment of modules, service packs and the like necessary to have the games run under CrossOver. How does Steam deal with this issue.

My understanding of Steam is that it is no different than PMB -- that is, it is strictly a Distribution Mechanism. I know that Turbine has made official statements that all patching will still be done by the Turbine Launcher, not Steam. Which, again, does not run under CrossOver and required PyLotRO for patching.

And of course, the "biggie" --- what benefit (besides a horse in LOTRO) do you get for installing a game via Steam instead of a CrossTie install?

One assumes that virtually all games which run under CO but require "tweeking" have these same issues.

..well, seeing as you have a ticket hoisted on these things,
which likely will only be answered by the 'try it and see'
route, I'll leave most of these questions to be replied by
whomsoever fields the ticket...

...what I did want to affirm, here, is that Steam is very
unlike PMB.exe in about everyway possible I can immediately
think of (in comparison)...

..well, seeing as you have a ticket hoisted on these things,
which likely will only be answered by the 'try it and see'
route, I'll leave most of these questions to be replied by
whomsoever fields the ticket...

My ticket got a quick response --- excerpt --

"The short answer is that DDO and LOTRO via Steam do not work in Crossover. "

To make a long story short, my original analysis is correct -- The Turbine Launcher does not work under CO on the Mac, therefore neither does the Steam version of those games.

...what I did want to affirm, here, is that Steam is very
unlike PMB.exe in about everyway possible I can immediately
think of (in comparison)...

There is Steam, and then there is Steam. "Steam," as a platform, is like an X-box, Atari, or PlayStation. It's an environment which forces you to do things their way. It happens to be a large environment, but there is no compatibility between say, a person playing standalone DDO and Steam-DDO with respect to voice chat. Each environment has its own system, and the two are not "cross-compatible."

From everything I understand about Stream and Pando -- Yes, the two are virtually identical as digital distribution schemes. Both charge the original developer of the game a Fee to re-distribute the game. Other marketing aspects of the deals are just that -- contractual items between Valve and the original developer. Valve/Steam offers a developer many features beyond their own game, but they are exactly that -- features beyond the scope of the original game.

As for specific differences, Pando (PMB) uses a Torrent style downloader -- Steam, apparently does not.

At least at this time, WB/Turbine does NOT use any of SteamWorks features. That might change in the future, but current statements from Turbine have said they (via the Turbine Launcher) will continue to handle all authentication/updating things themselves.

1 to 10 of 10

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoieUpnbk5YMmZSa1B5QVhTdyIsImdkcHIiOjB9