Dungeons & Dragons Online Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Repeatedly connect and then get disconnected within a few minutes

I've been running ddo pretty well on 17.3 Cinnamon 32 bit for almost a year now. As I mentioned a while back, I frequently have some of the problems I saw mentioned by one of the advocates that launch often fails in a variety of ways, but I keep trying and eventually it launches and runs ok.

But a little over a week ago I started having a new problem. I get connected, can start moving around and interacting with the game. But within a few minutes of connecting, I stop moving and get the yellow icon that usually indicates bad lag. Then about 30 seconds later I get the red disconnection icon. I have never seen it recover from that. If I wait that out, it always eventually closes the game and says connection to server lost.

I can try again, and the same thing happens. Happens with multiple characters. Not been seeing any internet issues with other things like Netflix and general web browsing.

One of the weirdest things was that I got this a couple nights in a row - could never stay connected, gave up. Then about a week ago, I had one night when it ran fine and I was able to play for a few hours. Several nights since then, back to the problems and have not been able to play.

ISP is Comcast.

Anyone else experiencing anything similar?

Mike

Resolved my own issue, thought I would share.

Comcast sent me a new modem/router a while back, and suddenly I was unable to connect to ddo from within my own home network. Connecting to patch server was stopping at 33% and then timing out. The firewall configurability on the new Comcast router was crap compared to past firewalls I have worked with (23 years of IT experience). Basic levels Low, Medium, High and Custom - but custom didn't really let me customize much. So I set it to Medium and tried to get ddo working by setting up port forwarding and port triggering in advanced settings using port numbers I had found in some knowledgebase articles on Turbine site. Didn't help.

The new modem also came with Comcast's "feature" that adds a wireless hotspot that other people with Comcast accounts can use. I discovered if I connected to that instead of my internal SSID, ddo ran. So I set up a laptop for playing ddo with nothing else installed, no personal files or information, so that if it was exposed while I was connected to the hotspot side of the modem, there would be nothing to find.

I'm thinking Comcast must have pushed an update to the modem a couple weeks ago that changed the effects of the levels of firewall security, and that caused the problem I described earlier that disconnects me after a couple minutes. I discovered that if I just drop my firewall security level to Low, I can both connect to ddo from within my network, and I don't get the disconnects.

I am only dropping the firewall setting to Low while I am playing ddo, then setting it back to Medium. I'm not thrilled about it, but at least I can play again. I will tinker more with the Custom security level when I have time and see if I can figure out what's different between Low and Medium that is interfering with ddo - then maybe I can still re-enable some of the other security.

Note that this affects ddo on both my Linux laptop using Crossover, and a Win10 PC not using any Codeweaver products. So this was not a Crossover issue. But I thought it would be good for other Linux Crossover users to know, particularly ones who don't also have a Windows PC to compare to. Otherwise some might have assumed it was a Crossover issue.

Mike

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiRThWVUpMVm1oN3ZNNFdLdSIsImdkcHIiOjB9