e-Sword Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

e-sword 10.0.3 crashing on loading - Help!

Hello,
I have just tried to upgrade e-sword from 9.9 to 10.0.3 on my mac running snow leopard. This has installed and I have the new wine logo in the dock. However, on trying to run e-sword I get the message that it has to close due to a serious problem, and that this may be a problem with Wine. I have reloaded the 9.9 version of e-sword in a different bottle, but have lost all my notes, bibles and commentaries, as these presumably are in the corrupted updated file.

Will e-sword 10.0.3 run on Crossover? If so what do I need to do?
If not, do you know how I can retrieve my notes etc from the upgraded but un-openable file and transfer them to my 9.9 bottle?

Your notes aren't lost they are still in the old bottle. What I ended up doing was locating my original bottle and transferring all of my modules and notes into a separate folder, deleting all of the other bottles including the original and reinstalling e-sword 9 from codeweavers. I attempted to install Version 10 and had the same results. I would recommend looking to the e-sword forums on how to install version 10 or when codeweavers will have the new version to install via CrossTie. But I can walk you through retrieving your notes and modules.

You said you are running Snow Leopard so you should have access to your Library File in your home directory. Lion hid the Library file and I had to type a command in to unhide it. If it is hidden for any reason open up a command prompt by opening your Applications Folder, then opening the Utilities Folder and clicking on the Terminal option. Once at the terminal window type in: chflags nohidden ~/Library/

This will unhide you library folder if it has been hidden.

Next follow this path:
Home Directory/Library/Application Support/Crossover/Bottles/e-Sword/drive_c/Program Files/e-Sword
In this file are all of your modules; bibles, maps, commentary, dictionaries, and the like.

Copy this folder to a safe place like your desktop.

Next to retrieve your notes and journal entries follow this path:
Home Directory/documents/e-Sword

In here is your notes, journal, bookmarks. Save these to the desktop as well

Next, uninstall e-sword by dragging the icon from the application folder to the trash; then delete all of the e-sword bottle files from the Crossover Bottles folder.

Now reinstall e-Sword using CrossTie from the Codeweavers homepage;
Replace the e-Sword file in the new bottle with the one you saven on your desktop and the file in the documents directory as well. Start e-Sword and you should be good as new.

Thanks for such detailed help, Joshua. Really appreciated. God bless you mate. I will now attempt to follow those instructions!

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoia0ZyNFl0Q1RuQzZyV1lHZyIsImdkcHIiOjB9