EVE Online Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Dominion 1.1

After the Dominion 1.1 patch, I am unable to launch EVE. Is anyone else having this problem? I get the splash screen, but after awhile I get a blank screen and then a pagefault:

wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000008 at address 0xb6b5fbdd (thread 001b), starting debugger...

Hi Dave,

Yes, that sounds similar to the issues I experienced after the patch.

In my case, it was somehow related to the BITS service, and was able to launch the client again by using the workaround described in WineHQ. In brief, the workaround consists on editing the "prefs.ini" file, found in the Eve Online program folder, changing the value "bitsCancelled=1" to "bitsCancelled=0":

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=18563

Note that EVE will set this parameter back to 1 on startup, so you will have to update "prefs.ini" every time you want to run the game. It is therefore recommended to use an script to launch the EVE client, automating the above change. An example of such script could be the following:

#!/bin/sh

# Disable BITS
sed -i -e 's/bitsCancelled=1/bitsCancelled=0/' "$HOME/.cxgames/EVE Online/drive_c/users/crossover/Local Settings/Application Data/CCP/EVE/c_program_files_ccp_eve_tranquility/settings/prefs.ini"

# Launch EVE Online
/opt/cxgames/bin/wine --wait-children --bottle "EVE Online" --workdir "C:\Program Files\CCP\EVE" explorer -- /desktop=EVE,1920x1080 "C:\Program Files\CCP\EVE\eve.exe"

As you can see, I have EVE installed under a bottle called after the game (i.e. "EVE Online"), and use a virtual desktop with a resolution of 1920x1080. Just replace these with your own values (also in the path given to the "sed" command), and you should be able to run the client again... assumming you are experiencing the same issue I did, that is.

Good luck :)

I keep my games in separate bottles as well, for the most part. Launching EVE calling wine directly as you did fixed the problem for me. I was using the script crossover created when EVE was installed to launch EVE (under ${HOME}/.cxgames/EVE\ Online/desktopdata/). Now I am experiencing the occasional crashes every 15-30 minutes (I wasn't getting crashes before the patch). Anyway, everything is working once again. Thanks for the help.

As far as the BITS service problem goes, I have found that if you make prefs.ini read-only, EVE is unable to change the value of bitsCancelled.

Glad to hear it solved your problem.

As for the crashes, I can only advice you to make sure you are actually launching EVE on a virtual desktop (i.e. the "/desktop=EVE,1920x1080" part, among the above parameters). Without it, the game easily "hanged" for me, when restoring focus to the EVE client, after switching between applications. Also, with a virtual desktop, I found it to be much more stable with regards to crashes, though I haven't extensively tested it with and without such option enabled after the recent patches.

In any case, note that you can also set a virtual desktop on the configuration for the appropriate bottle. That way, you should be able to launch the game the same using the shortcuts or menu entries created by Crossover on install (as far as you make "prefs.ini" read-only, as you mention, to avoid the issue with the BITS service).

Let us know if you find any other solution to that crashes. Good luck :)

It is interesting that you notice the crashes happening when restoring focus without a virtual desktop. Before the patch, I was using xlaunch to start EVE in a separate instance of X. I will test doing that again to see if it resolves the crashes I am seeing. One great thing about using xlaunch is the windowmanager shortcuts no longer interfere with EVE's shortcuts, and there is no longer an issue with focus changes.

Hm i get to the startscreen then it hangs, and i dont even have that prefs.ini file in my eve folder. Is it in a subfolder? Or did the installation go wrong. The eve installer finished, but crossover kept saying "installing" so i had to kill force quit the installer. But eve was already installed? hm.....

Hey Norman,

Here is the location to the prefs.ini on my Ubunu 10.04 (beta 1) system:

.cxgames/EveO/drive_c/users/crossover/Local Settings/Application Data/CCP/EVE/c_program_files_ccp_eve_tranquility/settings/prefs.ini

I have had issues installing DirectX in the past, but this time I installed DirectX first and then I installed Eve. Downloading Eve in Crossover and trying to install appears to fail all the time for me, both in Ubuntu 9.10 and 10.04 (beta 1). If I manually download the full install from the Eve site, rename the file to EVE_Setup.exe (case sensitive), and copy the file to ~/.cxgames/installers I can get Eve to install with no problems.

Eve works on my system (nVidia graphics) with no modifications needed to the prefs.ini.

Hope this helps.

-=Raj=-

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiR0IyVEJwOWRhcmI3YnZoTiIsImdkcHIiOjB9