Evernote 4.x Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

getting 4.x to install

Anyone have advice on actually getting this to install on Crossover Linux? The installer doesn't work propoerly as it seems to hang. If I kill the evernote process as advised by Codeweavers, the app doesn't install properly. The files are installed in C:\ProgramFiles\evernote but they don't run.

One thing that typically happens is that evernote immediately installs a system tray icon for their application. If you check the tray at that point where it seems to hang, I'm betting you'll find that tray icon. Right click the icon and "Quit Evernote" and then the install should complete. I think Crossover waiting to see that the process isn't running and the installer can't detect that it's just the tray tool.

I've heard that 4.x is slow on CX 10.

edit - words removed - please do not mention beta results in general forums - thanks

John Watzke wrote:

One thing that typically happens is that evernote immediately
installs a system tray icon for their application. If you check the
tray at that point where it seems to hang, I'm betting you'll find
that tray icon. Right click the icon and "Quit Evernote" and then
the install should complete. I think Crossover waiting to see that
the process isn't running and the installer can't detect that it's
just the tray tool.

I've heard that 4.x is slow on CX 10.

Nope. As far as I can see there is no tray app running at all.

Out of frustration, I installed WINE 1.3 in order to see if evernote (4.x) worked in an out-of-box wine install. It installed without issue. All the complaints I've seen about sluggishness are a bit exaggerated. It worked well. However, as it's (standard wine) not integrated into Linux as well as crossover, it's a pain. For example, I'm not able to double click on note attachments to open them as they have no associations. Crossover usually takes care of this for me.

This leads me to wonder, what version of WINE is crossover using?

edit - words removed - please do not mention beta results in general
forums - thanks

If there's a beta program with a newer version of wine I would LOVE to be a part of the beta test. NDA's are fine for me.

rimez wrote:

snip<

This leads me to wonder, what version of WINE is crossover using?

...crossover 10.x.x is based upon wine-1.3.9 ...

rimez wrote:

If there's a beta program with a newer version of wine I would LOVE
to be a part of the beta test. NDA's are fine for me.

...typically access to the beta builds is restricted to advocates only ;
I see by your details, you're registered only as a customer - in the past,
exceptions have been made for customers to have access to beta builds, in
the case of extraordinary circumstances ; I'm not sure if this is valid, here.
You have 2 options ;

*apply for/become an advocate (say, for this app) - once approved, you'll have access to the betas

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/advocate_overview/

*email info@codeweavers.com and explain your situation, mention this thread for reference

Artist Formally Known as Dot wrote:

rimez wrote:

snip<

This leads me to wonder, what version of WINE is crossover
using?

...crossover 10.x.x is based upon wine-1.3.9 ...

Very strange. As mentioned, on a fresh install of WINE 1.3, Evernote installs without any issue whatsoever (and it really works well). Is there something additional I could configure on the side of crossover so that I can install it?

The reason for wanting to use crossover over the standard WINE builds is that Crossover is handling (wonderfully I might add) all of the file associations. Since I use Crossover for MS Office 2007, I need to be able to click on the note attachments and have them open in the corresponding office application.

Any additional help would be appreciated.

So just now thought to run the link to evernote in the console. after launching I see this error:

[0227/201433:FATAL:network_change_notifier_win.cc(166)] Check failed: ret == ERROR_IO_PENDING.

If I go into the bottles task manager, I see evernote.exe is running.

Any ideas?

I just want to close this out. Since the Release of cx11, this issue is no longer valid. Works VERY well now.

Agreed. I tried to install - no problems at all.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoicWd0VXNCWFdaQjJwVG1RZSIsImdkcHIiOjB9