Fable: The Lost Chapters Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

how to run fable the lost chapters with crossover games

I only have trail version, but I found a way to run fable with it. It is not an easy task, but, trust me, it is worth it. This game is one of the best I ever played.

well here is how you do it:

• search the internet two windows datafiles. they are called "d3dx9_25.dll" and "Mfc42.dll".

• have your cd key at the ready.

• have your fable the lost chapters cds/dvd at hand.

• download a no cd crack for fable.

• now, open crossovergames and create a new bottle called "fable" or what ever you want to call it. use a winxp base for that.

• in finder (not in crossover games^^) search for the system32 folder in the "fable" bottle.

• put the two downloaded .dll files in this folder. (if you do not do this, the fable installer will not work)
    the next three steps you only have to do if you have fable on 4 cds and not on dvd:

• now go to your desktop or any other place you want, and create a new folder.

• put into this folder everything that is found on cd1.

• now put the the Disk2/3/4C~1.cab from the other cds into the same folder. also put the additional sound and video files into the New\ Folder/Fable\ -\ The\ Lost\ Chapters/data/ folder/sound (or video) folder.

• now open crossovergames again and start the installation out of the newly created folder that contains the data from the cds. use the setup.exe file for that.

• after the installation open the winecfg and simulate a monitor of, for example 1280x800 resolution.

• now overwrite the existing fable.exe in the "fable" bottle with the no cd crack.

• open the game and kill all shader/shadow effects in the graphic options.

my advice is this: play the game in a 1024x640 resolution. some graphical effects will only work in this resolution. for example, the black and white effect from using the very important "time stop" spell, will only work in this resolution. in every other resolution I tried the screen went completly black when ever I used this spell.
also, while playing you will encounter some minor graphic glitches. for example the water will have some strange yellow stripes on it and sometimes the game will forget to draw some transparent hair or beard texture. note: this will not, in any way hinder you in playing. those things are just cosmetic problems, and, as the rest of the beautiful graphic is drawn perfectly, I think you will not even notice it most of the time.

funnny, it took me around three days to get fable to run with crossover games, but it really was worth the trouble. 😊=
I hope you will have as much fun with the game as I did. 😊

avarchillion

I followed these directions and the game installed correctly, but I still have two problems:

1) When Fable first launches, I get an audio/video error saying the intro video could not play and there may be a problem with my audio/video settings.

2) Once the game loads I get a black screen with a small graphic in the lower right hand corner. It appears the game freezes and the only way to get out of it is to quit CrossOver games.

I've got a Santa Rosa MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.2GHz with 2GB RAM and a GMA X3100 (144 MB VRAM). Will Fable not work with GMA graphics? I couldn't find anything either way on Microsoft's site, and I know the new Feral port won't work. Am I just sunk?

sorry i should have mentioned that i have a macbook pro.
the problem you encountered is one of the macbooks main problems. the macbook does not have a real seperate graphic card installed. instead it has some kind of graphics chip.
the problem is, that a lot of games do not recognize this chip and need your computer to have a real graphic card.
for instance i played fable on my macbook pro with windows (installed through bootcamp) without problems, while my brother with a macbook (and windows via bootcamp) had the same problems with fable as you.

so you see, this, tradicly is a problem connected to the macbook and windows games that do not recognize this special graphic chip.

sorry, that i could not help you with that.

avarchillion

thx for the help

glad to have helped. 😊

by the way: i know why there is an audio/video error, when you startup fable. that´s because fable wants to run a wmplayer video via activating the windows media player. well it can´t and therefore you get the error.

avarchillion

hey avarchillion...i followed all the steps and the game runs fine so far, but whenever i cast fireballs there are no flames visible, the experience orbs arent visible aswell, there are times where the sound cuts off during cutscenes and whenever i wanna boost my experience or learn more spells the preview of the spell doesnt show.

how can i fix these problems?

thank you

hm, i didn´t have the fireball problem (sounds like a particle thing), but the graphic gliches with the experience orbs i had too. tradicly i do not know of a way to solve this glich. well you know that you can hit the left-shift key to draw the orbs to you, so this is not such a wild thing, in my opinion. 😉
aja, the sound cuts off, when fable tries to run a little windows media clip, after this the sound is gone. propably because fable deactivates it´s own sound, so the windows media player won´t be interrupted. but because the windows media player is not opend, there is no confirmation of the ending of the clip and therefore fable doesn´t activate its own sound by itselfs.
well you can solve this by klicking the esc key in game. after this the sound should be back. at least that was the case whenever i tried it.
the learning preview is also a problem with the windows media player. if you look through the files in the fable folder you will notice, that those previews are opend with the windows media player and therefore fable can´t run them too.

i´m glad that the game runs well, with these exeptions. i know it´s not perfect, mostly due to problems with the windows media player, but it runs stable and, what can i say, i really enjoyed playing it. 😊

avarchillion

(by the way, sry for my english. i´m german and therefore i always have problems with the right spelling)

Hello,
When i try to go through the installer on fable i get a box after i put in the cd key that says

up top it says invalid CD Key!

but the error itself is ... error loading the PID generator DLL. The DLL Could not be found! Please make sure the file is available in the installation directory and try again,

Can someone tell me what that means?

EDIT: ah sorry, i had put the DLL's in the wrong system 32 ... i put them in the steam one by accident.

yep i know that error. took me some time to get around it. this is, why you have to download the two .dll files "d3dx9_25.dll" and "Mfc42.dll". you got to put them into the system32 folder in your fable bottle.
then the cd-key should be accepted.

wait, i see you found the problem yourself. 😊 good. 😊
well, isn´t it a graet game?

avarchillion

I'm having the same problems as Christian:

"
1) When Fable first launches, I get an audio/video error saying the intro video could not play and there may be a problem with my audio/video settings.

2) Once the game loads I get a black screen with a small graphic in the lower right hand corner. It appears the game freezes and the only way to get out of it is to quit CrossOver games.
"

But- my mac is a new iMac with a 3.06GHz Core 2 Duo, 4gb ram, and a NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS graphics processor with 512MB of GDDR3 memory

Any help would be appreciated

Hm, I have to admit, that I really do not know how this problem could be solved. Let me think.....
Have you tried patching it? How about trying to run the game in a window (you know no fullscreen). You can do this with the winecfg tool in the "manage bottles" screen. Try this and tell me if it made a difference.

avarchillion

Hi,
I've been able to install Fable, but when it's asking to reboot your system I'm stuck.
My Crossover Games software Installer keeps running after installation. And does nothing.
I can eject or Force Installer completion.
What to do? Have done it before, when I choose Force installer completion Fable won't start.
Help!
Thanks

ok happily this problem is easily solved:

• with crossover games it happens quite often that at the end of an installation the installer wants a reboot but gets none and therefore hopes for it all eternity.
  • so this is what you do: the installation is completed, even if the crossoverinstaller doesn't know it, so choose force installer completion.
  • now he never had the reboot he longed for, so reboot him. 😊 you can use the litte build-in application "reboot system" or, in "manage bottles", you can just quit the bottle with the fable installation. this is both, in my experience, a simulated reboot.

hope i helped

avarchillion

First thanks for your help, but I got another problem with the installation.
I downloaded the two files and placed them into the folder and it worked, but I don't know how to continue the installation after changing the CD's...Shall I open it again with Crossover Games? Because nothing happens if I click on install CD 2 with Crossover.
The Programm seems to not detect the CD and neither does the Installation...

Thanks for Help

Simon

Edit: Problem solved, Im installing it as you describet it. But I do not understand this :

• after the installation open the winecfg and simulate a monitor of, for example 1280x800 resolution.

What's the "winecfg" ? And how do I simulate a monitor?

Should I crack the Fable file in the new Folder or the installed Fable Part?

thanks

<<What's the "winecfg" ? And how do I simulate a monitor?>>
the "winecfg" tool is a buildin tool of crossovergames. you can access it by opening crossovergames, selecting "Manage Bottles" from the menubar, there choose the "fable" bottle and klick on "control panel". there you are going to find the "winecfg" tool.

<<Should I crack the Fable file in the new Folder or the installed Fable Part? >>
open the Fable folder, located here:
<username>/Library/Application\ Support/Crossover\ Games/Bottles/<fablebottlename>/drive_c/Program\ Files/
there replace the installed fable.exe with the fable.exe crack. then it should work.

did this help?

avarchillion

Hey avarchillion

Thx for your help, I almost thought this thread was dead.

Now the game launches but the screen stays black.. but there is no error that is appearing, only the black screen. There is a indication before starting that the game wasn't quit correctly and I can choose between continuing or starting in the safe mode.. same effect.

It would be nice if you could help me once again :)

Simon

Hi avarchillion,

I installed fable and when i start a new game, it loads but stays black with music and a small fable logo in the bottom left. Any help?

Ok problem solved I clicked on the false icon to start the game -.-'
Now the game is working, thx alot!!

hm to be correct, I don´t know how to solve this. first: on what kind of mac did you install fable?
second: have you tried to run fable in a window?

avarchillion

My computer is a Macbook Pro 2Ghz. reading the threads, same as yours ^^ I must have done something wrong. Tried it in a window but still only got the small icon at the bottom.

great! 😊 i think the game is worth the trouble. 😊

avarchillion

Followed instructions... game installed but cannot run... after deleting the bottle and attempting install again (I had to force Crossover to quit the installation after it completed so thought that might have caused some problem). Still could not get working. I am attempting to run on a 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro. Any help would be appreciated... Only thing I can think of at this point is that possibly having the regular version of Crossover installed (as well as Crossover Games which I'm trying to run the game through).

avarchillion

I have a macbook pro intel processor with Graphics ATY, RadeonX1600

I bought fable a while back but was never able to play it. I wanted to try to install it on my mac but after following the instructions I just get a black screen. Do you have any other tips on how to install it correctly?

thanks,
zula

Sry that it took so long for me to answer, but well, I was preoccupied with my studies. 😉
Anyway to you Garrett Richey and you zula, I have to admit that I´m at a loss. I think I posted quite easy to follow instructions. I described exactly how to run this game on my mac. You both seem to have a similar confirued mac, therefore it should work. Yet it doesn't. Sry, but I really do not know why.
So I think we have to work together on this one. Have you both downloaded the needed files (dlls and no cd crack) and put in the right folders.
For instance this black screen problem sounds to me, like the no cd crack is missing.
I hope, together we can sort this out. 😊

avarchillion

Ok. I'm having trouble installing this the installer gets about %90 done and bombs out with an error. I am obviously not doing something right. I have CrossOver pro (which has crossover games included) and when I insert the cd the first thing it asks me is what package I want to use. Ok so that's the first question which package do I use? Secondly I have the two dlls in the Fable bottled system32 folder, however the instructions proceed as if you have installed the 4cd version which I have not. Can you install this directly from the DVD and not the folder or do I still need to copy the contents of the folder onto the hdd? Though I haven't got it installed yet I was trying to run the crack to get the CD key and it was saying that it was missing another dll. All in all this in not working for me. I have a MacBook Pro 2.5 with the Gforce 8600. Any help with this would be appreciated. In the meantime I think I'll try to install KOTOR 2 or CoX. Thanks in advanced.

emlcombo, CrossOver Pro and CrossOver Games are separate programs. By "included" we mean that purchasing a license for Pro entitles you to register Games without having to pay extra. 😊

You can download CrossOver Games from the My Downloads link in the My Account section. It's a trial copy, but you can register it with your account details.

Hi avarchillion, thanks to your great tips I have installed the game and it plays fine (on a Mac mini). There's only a little window in the lower left corner with an inverted image of part of the screen. It updates as the player moves around and I find it annoying.
Do you know of a setting to change or a trick to get rid of it?

Thanks so much.
Adriaan.

I dont get how to do this bit :)

also put the additional sound and video files into the New\ Folder/Fable\ -\ The\ Lost\ Chapters/data/ folder/sound (or video) folder.

• now overwrite the existing fable.exe in the "fable" bottle with the no cd crack.
  • open the game and kill all shader/shadow effects in the graphic options.

would be nice if you could tell me :P Thanks

Jack

oooookay, let me try to rephrase this:
put the sound files into the "sound" folder in the "Fable the lost chapters" "data folder". then do the same with the video files, but put them into the "video" folder.

the winecfg is a programm 'inside' crossover games. click on 'manage bottles', choose the fable bottle you created and click on 'control panel'. there you will find the winecfg tool. double-click on it and choose 'graphic'. there you can emulate monitor.

overwriting the false fable.exe file means: copying the crack fable.exe into the "fable the lost chapters" folder.

the next thing is finding the right graphic option in the game menu and disabling it.

hope this was of some help, sry for the late reply, i have been in the hospital for some time now.

avarchillion

Thanks ill try it :). thought this thread was dead :P so i deleted the game.... ganna have to start from the beginning :P

another thing that seems to be a problem is, the version of crossover games.
I found out, by playing a few games, that there is a huge difference between, for example, version 7.1.1 and version 7.2.
you can play games like "evil genius" or "armies of exigo" only with version 7.1.1. some games wont even start with 7.2.

just try some different versions of the game, you might get better results.

avarchillion

AND if you find a regression with a game, even if it is unsupported, please write in and tell us about it. We would like a new ticket for each game (please try not to write us a ticket reporting five games that no longer work...). If we can reproduce the game working on CrossOver Games 7.1.x and not working on 7.2 we will look into it further.

Cheers!

Hi avarchillion, thanks to your great tips I have installed the game and it plays fine (on a Mac mini). There's only a little window in the lower left corner with an inverted image of part of the screen. It updates as the player moves around and slows the game down.
Do you know of a setting to change or a trick to get rid of it?

Thanks so much.
Adriaan.

hm, you can try running the game in a window. your problem sounds like a problem with the screen resolution so try playing around with that (set your resolution, in game, to 800x600 for example).
tell me how that works out.

avarchillion
it´s good to see, that i helped someone at least. 😊

Hi avarchillion,

I am trying to run "armies of exigo" using CrossOver Games 7.2. The grafik is not working correctly and after a short time I run into a "Fatal exception in Exigo.exe: 0x00000005: Access violation.

You write that version 7.1.1 is better. How can I downgrade to 7.1.1 or how can I tweak 7.2 in order to be able to play the game?
Thanks in advance.

Kind regards

Detlef

I have completed all the steps up to installation. But during it comes up with fatal error 1603, any ideas on how to solve this?

xtakaitenshi wrote:

I have completed all the steps up to installation. But during it
comes up with fatal error 1603, any ideas on how to solve this?

It's really hard to help you if you don't tell everyone what OS/platform/videocard
you're using, along with which version of crossover-games....

I don't have this game, and I'm using COG-8.0 on linux, but I have read through the
same instructions here you no doubt followed -- here's what I know.

With another couple of titles that required mfc42.dll being copied into the same
bottle, one of our all-powerful ninjas whispered to me that a possible solution
to doing this, was to install Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 Redistributable package
into the same bottle, using the cxinstallwizard 'show all service packs and deps.'
button, this target is in the list. This actually worked and removed the requirement
to obtain/copy mfc42.dll into place. Note there are several different versions of
mfc42.dll in itself, so YMMV is probably involved there - point is, if installing
the above supported COG package is an effective solution vis the need for mfc42.dll,
then we should use that if we can...

Same goes for the reference to d3d9_25.dll, which is also installed by the above
method using the Directx Runtime Modern target. but it's not clear in any of
the posts if anyone has tried this route, rather than just copying the d3d9_25.dll
into place manually. Be aware, there are those cases where the copying of a single
.dll might be the 'right' way to go...I'm merely observing and reporting on what
I have read here ;)

Then of course, YMMV depending on exactly which no-cd patch you happen to be using
(if this is the route you have taken), if there happens to be more than one of
such things to choose from, and the only known solution to that one, is good'ole
try it and see...ie; do all the base installation stuff, archive the bottle at that
'pristine' point, then start trying patches until you find one that works (apply
patch, if it doesn't work, delete bottle, restore pristine archived bottle, try
a different patch cycles) Sounds redundant, but it's the only way to be entirely
sure that one patch's alterations don't interfere with another patch's changes.

At least, this is the way I'd be thinking about these things and any errors
I encountered using COG-8.0 and linux....hope it helps ;)

i literally just fixed it before you posted, turns out i had ONE file in the wrong folder causing error 1603

I really enjoy playing fable but I have to say I am having trouble with the steps you have put up. I made it to the point where I am supposed to be copying all the data from CD1 into the new folder, but it keeps coming up with the error "The Finder cannot complete the operation because some data in "00002.tmp" could not be read or written. (Error code -36)" What am I doing wrong?

Tara, that error indicates a fundamental error trying to read data from the disc. It would appear the disc is damaged or faulty.

yes, either the CD is damaged or your CD-drive isn't working very well. the newer macs have very bad CD-drives (in my opinion) thats why I bought an external CD-drive just so all my DVDs and CDs could be mounted.....
since apple started putting mac together in china, the hardware has become somewhat unstable....

try a differend CD-drive.

Also, the original post was posted by me in 2008. A lot of time has passed since then and a lot of new stuff has been added to crossovergames. I have to try Fable in one of the newer versions of the game.

Try installing directly from the CD with the newest version of crossover. Maybe all my workarounds are not longer needed.

avarchillion

1 to 41 of 41

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoicXJ1Y2IyZzdMYkJ1TllFNCIsImdkcHIiOjB9