Fallout 2 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Finally works in CX11...

Finally, at long last, this game (the GOG release) is playable for me (GMA 950 MacBook), just like it's predecessor. Previously, this game was unplayable due to the slow gameplay/mouse bug, but fixes in the 1.4 codebase for WINE seem to have addressed this. The game plays well both with assorted unofficial bugfix packages, and the high-resolution mod, but it should be noted that if the screen display is set to 24 or 32 bit colour massive slowdowns may occur. Furthermore, in 10.6 the game runs fine in fullscreen; in 10.7 the game needs a virtual desktop to be enabled or else the display will become garbled.

To fix OS X 7 Full screen

Run Regedit and delete the fallout2.exe keys if they exist in... (They force compatibility 256 color which causes issues)

HKEY_CURRENT_USER - NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers
HKEY_CURRENT_USER - NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers

Then install sfall v2.18 http://sourceforge.net/projects/sfall/files/sfall/

Configure for full screen (mode 4) and resolution 640x480 in ddraw.ini

Finally manually add an override for ddraw.dll (native, builtin) This is done via Configure->Manage Bottles and running Wine Configuration. Select the Libraries tab and in the "New override for library:" field enter ddraw.dll and click Add. Double check that you now see ddraw.dll (native, builtin) in the list of overrides.

Enjoy!

I think the previous poster meant to write HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE as the second hive to check for the Layers key. It can exist there.
Windowed mode also works. I use the default scaler. All as per sfall DDRAW.INI .

After some more extensive repeated testing with CrossOver 11.1, I can't help but rescind my earlier glowing statements regarding Fallout 2 and CrossOver (and WINE for that matter). While the game runs better than it did under previous versions of WINE and CrossOver, and the game is playable, the in-game cursor and game speed are still extremely slow; not slow enough as to be unplayable, but slow enough that it would detract from the experience. It's a shame because it's a game I've really wanted to work for a long time - and others on the WineHQ database have echoed my experiences. While the relevant bug in WINE has been marked as fixed, some people still report sluggish performance as well.

I've revised my rating to Bronze level as a result of this.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiY1JGQ2FBWXdDMmhWcVA5YiIsImdkcHIiOjB9