Fallout 2 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

GOG.com version of Fallout 2 memory error

Hopefully someone else has experienced and fixed this!

After the other tips on this forum I got Fallout 2 to start up. However (and I'm in the very beginning of the game), when I try to pick something up I get the error of "The instruction at 0049c3de referenced memory at 000000c0 This memory could not be read from Click on OK to terminate the application"

I have the high res and sfall patches on this.

Has anyone seen this before or have any ideas on tips/tricks to fix this? I am running Crossover 11.0.3 on OS X Lion (10.7)

Thanks in advance!

Something changed in the OpenGL drivers between 10.6 and 10.7 that break several games in full screen, notably Fallout and Fallout 2. Enabling a Virtual Desktop allows them to work again. There are tips both in the Tips and Tricks section and in the Forum that detail how you can go about getting full screen to work again, but what I did was go into regedit and set "DirectDrawRenderer" to "gdi" the registry. Some good instructions on how to do so are here: http://wiki.winehq.org/UsefulRegistryKeys

I should have mentioned that I have tried this in full screen as well as windowed and did the registry edits in the Tips and Tricks section. Thanks for the try.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiRm5ISHRLbmtYcEo5cEhtQyIsImdkcHIiOjB9