Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

fallout of fallout 3, how to install?

hi, im running crossover 10.0 and i bought fallout 3 goty from direct 2 drive (against all the bad reviews) and the game was downloaded in three sections, fallout3_DLC_EN_d dsetup.exe, 2.2 gb, the patch, fallout3_1.7_english_us_ddsetup.exe, (both showing codeweavers icons) and fallout3_NA_ddsetup.zip now apple wouldn't unzip the file (i'm) assuming it a windows file, and code weavers fails to install it at all when selected as the installation source. i tried plugging my activation key straight into steam, but they didnt accept it as valid. whats my next step?

macbook pro 2.4 ghz intel core 2 4 gb 1067 mhz ddr3 memory

ps, i did try to find help in the forums before posting, but all the tech talk was beyond me. thanks again for your help

Install vc2005 first before installing, or you will get a crash.

Hey there. With your issues with the .zip file, you should be able to download a program for mac that will unzip/extract this compressed file. Yeah, it is generally a windows type file. Try http://download.cnet.com/MacZip/3000-2250_4-10025248.html and see if it works.

Once that is done I assume you would be able to install the game fine, but I make no promises as I have never used D2D. You will need the dependencies though. So vcrun 2005, modern direct X 9, and you will likely need to disable games for windows live as well. They are available in crossover, and the link to disable games for windows live is in the tips and tricks.

Best of luck.

how do i install vcrun2005? the farthest i got was to http://wiki.winehq.org/Recommended_Packages but i thought crossover was my wine package? i was able to unzip my folder using zipeg, but the install still said it didnt like me or my computer or my dog.

jonathan alter wrote:

how do i install vcrun2005? the farthest i got was to
http://wiki.winehq.org/Recommended_Packages but i thought crossover
was my wine package? i was able to unzip my folder using zipeg, but
the install still said it didnt like me or my computer or my dog.

Hi Jonathan,

I've a good deal of experience with direct2drive installers,  

and what you describe here sounds very familiar to me, but, I will probably
need you to grab a debuglog of the installation process to be able to work
out what's going wrong -- note that installing vcrun2005 has nothing to
do with the issue you are having, and, unzipping the installer data file
won't help the D2D installer -- it insists on unzipping things itself into
$temp to get the installation job done ... (sometimes this fails, I have a
bug/ticket hoisted about that) ... oh and it wouldn't at all surprise me if
the D2D data-pack bundles vcrun2005 (it's typical practice from D2D)...

If you're prepared to grab a debuglog, post back and I'll let you know what
exactly it is I need you to do...

Cheers!

hey don, before i read your post i was somehow able to install the unzipped files into (or with?) crossover, but the game runs very slowly and crashes every ten minutes or so. also, i noticed that the 1.7 patch has a better medal standing than fallout 3 alone. do you know if d2d was downloaded with the patch? i do have a file for the patch, but i dont know how to incorporate it into the crossover file/bottle, whatever. reducing my screen resolution seems to help very slightly, until anything actually happens in game. please let me know if you can help and what information i can send you to assist. thanks, ---jonathan

Hey there Jonathan. I know this won't sound ideal, but try running the game with lower settings, I found that reducing the sight distance helped a bunch. Also, it would certainly help to know what video card you have so we might be able to give you an idea of how it might run.

Yes, be sure to install the 1.7 patch, it does help it run much better, despite that this is a great game with an engrossing story there were loads of bugs in it, so the patch is essential. All you need to do to install the patch is just install it as you would normally with crossover, but be sure to choose your Fallout 3 bottle. It's an option before you start installing. As I said before, you will likely need the games for windows live patch, find it on the tips and tricks section.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiZ0poVjhVeWdKc1h6U2JkRyIsImdkcHIiOjB9