Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Getting Fallout 3 GOTY working without Steam on Snow Leopard

Hey guys,

I'm working on getting Fallout 3 working without going through Steam. I bought the GOTY edition, and apparently that was a huge mistake. But instead of taking it back to the store, I'm just going to try to make it work! :)

I'm using Crossover 10.1 on a Mac. Here's an update on the installation process thus far:

1) Create a new Windows XP bottle and install Steam. We're not actually going to use it, but it pulls down most of the dependencies that we need.

TODO: Explicitly install each dependency, instead of using Steam as a meta package.

2) Copy msasn1.dll from a copy of Windows that you own to your bottle's drive_c/windows/system32 directory.

3) In winecfg, set msasn1 to native, builtin; set xlive to native.

4) Also in winecfg, click the "Emulate Virtual Desktop" checkbox

5) Use the registry trick to set useGLSL to "enabled". (See the Tips and Tricks section for details).

6) Run setup.exe from the Fallout 3 GOTY Disc 1. Install will complete as expected.

The problem that I run into at this point is getting around the SecureRom message. The cause of this is that the Mac ioctl module doesn't allow direct access to the drive...or something.

Anyways, I talked to ken in #crossover and he said that I should try http://sourceforge.net/projects/xnu-extras/

I downloaded it, compiled it, and installed it. It didn't seem to work though, so I reached out to the author of that project. We are talking about how to get it working. Ken indicated that if such a kext was loaded into the kernel, Crossover should use it automagically.

I'll update this thread when I have more information.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiS3pYenh5QVZxeHE0WFNzcCIsImdkcHIiOjB9