Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Gold, seriously ? More like Silver, here's why:

I picked up this title during the Holiday Steam sale. Yesterday I decided to give it a spin. I followed the guide posted in the Tips&Tricks section (thanks guys!). Everything goes fairly well until the .NET 3.0 reinstall. Since .NET is still a hairy subject, no install seems to be like the previous one. Sometimes stuff goes well, sometimes it does not. Since I'm a very lucky dude, I needed to kill the dotnet*.exe once it said it had failed. No matter what I did it still insisted to send something to MS but failed to do so...

Apparently, just my luck, steam was trying to sell me the new deals of the day and the effin' window appeared just when the game was starting. I could not shut it down except by doing Alt+F4. This caused some errors and my desktop to become unusable. Something prevented clicks to go anywhere. X.org was fine, and none of the apps crashed but I did have to go to one of the ttys and killall wineserver.

After a few of these stunts I ended up with a bunch of Steam.exe, zombified Fallout3.exe and some wine executables that could not be killed by using "Terminate Windows applications" menu entry. I decided to logout and then back in and then I could play the game just fine...

Silver, because the install is not seamless and depending on other things it may become quite irritating.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiZ2N0a3ZhcU5IZ0JWUFpkRSIsImdkcHIiOjB9