Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Fallout 3 keeps hanging

I am running Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS with an NVIDIA GTX 560 Ti running driver version 310.19.

I downloaded and installed Crossover 12. I then installed Steam via the 'install software' button on cxsetup. After that I started an overnight download of Fallout 3 on my 1.5M DSL. ☹️ This morning, after working through the tips and tricks (installing the 1.7 patch, disabling G4W, adding msasn1.dll, and the virtual desktop), I actually got the game to start. I'm using a virtual desktop the same size as my real desktop and I'm using Medium quality settings. I was able to play the game for a few minutes (up to the BB gun scene) with no trouble, but when I used VATS, it hung. When I reload, I can't make it through the birthday party without it hanging.

Any idea how to make it stop hanging? The game is really fun, and I played it back when it came out on Wine so I'm at a loss as to what else I could do to make it run again. Thanks in advance!

Jack.

You could try to various .ini file settings out there that restrict the stupid game to using only one CPU core. They did NOT work for me. This thing is in such a bad shape. It crashed randomly on my Windows 7 install too. Valve posted a notice that says "Notice: Fallout 3 is not optimized for Windows 7". Yeah, no kiddin'.

You might get lucky and get it working. Tell your friends not to bother and your enemies to buy it right now.

Just thinking how Bethesda cares enough to beg money every year during sales season for this game gets my blood boiling. They want money for it but do not bother with fixes. "F" them. After loosing about a day trying various things to make it work I gave up, disgusted. I rated it accordingly "Known not to work". I wish we had a "pure garbage" rating for titles such as this not because of the content, because of the stupid bugs.

I have indeed tried tweaking the Threaded AI to use only one core but it still crashes.

What other options are there to make the game more playable?

Jack.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoibkZIQWZocENUWUpYeFVMUyIsImdkcHIiOjB9