Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

CAN'T RUN FALLOUT FROM STEAM .NET FRAMEWORK INSTALLATION PROBLEM

I have CrossOver Games 9.0.
I just bought fallout 3 and I ran into 2 main problems.
1 it won't install .net framework 2 (which I guess is required for the program to run)
2 I get to the splash screen, click pay and the program just crashes without notice.

Please help me out. I don't wanna waste 30$ like this :(

By the way, I have a MacBook Pro 17" nvidia and all other games run more less flawlessly

THANK YOU!

Yeah, .net 2 is required to get the game going. In Manage Bottles, select your fallout 3 bottle. Then click on the applications tab, even if it is showing that .net2 is installed in your bottle, select "Install Software". From there scroll down till you see "Runtime Support Components" and click the arrow or double click it. Then Scroll down till you see "Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0". click it and install it.
That should install .net 2 into your bottle and should allow steam to just look to see if .net 2 has been installed and bypass that part. You might also want to do the same for DirectX9 aka Microsoft DirectX Runtime: Modern.

Let me know how it goes and I'll see if I can help you anymore. I don't use the steam version so I am unfamiliar with it.

I'll try tonight what you just said. Thank you in any case!

NO way! I installed the .net framework. I updated Fallout 3 with the latest patch. Installed direct X and the program simply doesn't start when i click play....
I did everything as written here and in the tips and trick section.
Since the game doesn't start I cannot even uninstall Microsoft Live since it requires for the game to be started at least once :(

PLEASE HELP!

As I said I'm not familiar with the steam version of Fallout 3. However, you don't want to uninstall Microsoft Games for windows live, you just want to disable it, with the link found in the tips and tricks. You will not be able to play the game with G4WL un-installed.
Are you getting any errors or anything? If it is the GOTY edition of Fallout 3, you might want to try .net 3 or .net 3.5. Also, since it is a steam version of the game you shouldn't have to install the latest patch, i'm sure that steam would update it for you.
Maybe you can try launching the game from outside of steam... In your bottle try launching FalloutLauncher.exe or Fallout.exe. You might also want to try installing it again in a fresh bottle. Just Steam, .net, directx, and fallout3. Plus the sound fix and setting up the .ini.
Since this game does require extra tweaks, it should be installed in a fresh bottle.

Thanks, I managed to run the game following your instructions. Yest, the game sneeds a bottle for itself.
Could you please tell me where i can find the sound fix? I have no sound effects in the game.

and what about the .ini? do you mean to fix the mouse problem?

Thank you very much!

I read your post in "tips and tricks" about the sound fix. I'have a mac with snow leopard. Im not sure I understand the locations you described in your post.
Could you please explain them to me? Thank you so much!

I'm not sure I can. I'm also unfamiliar with mac's to be honest. I'm not sure how the directory is set up. I have heard that mac has a great search feature. I'm not sure if it allows you to find hidden folders or not, but try looking for .cxgames folder. Althought, with it being based on unix it might still have the root folders... So you could search there for a wine folder as well. I'll do my best to get back to you on this. For the time being you might just have to do some searching. Like I said, i'll get back to you as soon as I can.
Best of luck.

Are you using crossover games or crossover office?

Ok. I did some looking into it. And by the sounds of it with a mac it's a tad bit easier potentially anyway. Your Crossover folder should be located in ~/Library/Application Support/CrossOver
I believe that the .dll.so would be placed CrossOver.app/Contents/SharedSupport/CrossOver however I'm not entirely sure of that. I'm sure you would know it better then I. You will be looking for a large folder full of .dll.so files.
And as for getting normal wine I guess it's wherever you put it? or where ever the prefix is. However in linux there are ways to get the .dll.so without actually installing wine, I hope there is a way on a Mac as well.

I really hope this helps. Let me know if you need anything else.

@alzazello:

On a Mac, the FalloutPrefs.ini can be found in ~/Documents/My Games, where "~" means your home folder.

Fixing the sound by building your own winmm.dll.so is probably more complicated and technical than you're willing to get, I think. Please open a support ticket and refer to the Tips & Tricks here. We can investigate why reverting to the winmm in Wine 1.1.37 fixes things and hopefully fix it for a future release of CrossOver Games.

Also since you have it up an running now, what are the steps you followed to get it going on steam with a mac? Just some quick info in point form would be much appreciated, then I can add it to my tip's and tricks. Thanks

Duskao

I managed to run the program installing every necessary component (.net framework, directx) separately as suggested in the tips and tricks section.
About the sound fix. I have wine installed and I would appreciate if you could tell me where i can find the required file for improving sound performance.
I have an Intel COre 2 Duo: do I need to make the changes in the .ini files as suggested in tips and tricks?

I will file a support ticket but please, is there any way i can get teh probe fixed? The sound effects are the only thing missing now. Crossover Games Rocks! I never had a problem with it, I know that Fallout 3 is a tricky game.

Thanks all the staff and everybody for the help so far, you are all great!

I gather that you need a particular version of Wine (1.1.37) installed. So, are you sure that's the version you have?

Also, how did you install it? For example, did you build it yourself from source? Or did you use MacPorts?

If you used MacPorts, then it's probably installed into /opt/local. The winmm.dll.so may be in /opt/local/lib/wine.

You would have to copy it into the CrossOver Games application bundle. Right-click on CrossOver Games and select Show Package Contents. Then, within there, winmm.dll.so should go into Contents/SharedSupport/CrossOverGames/lib/wine. You probably want to back up the one that's there, first, though.

I have no idea about the .ini, although the tip suggests that you should make the change for any multi-core CPU, and yours is.

OK. I did everything I could but still no sounds effect. I did the sound fix, with wine 1.2 not 1.1.3 which is no longer available but nothing changed. I modified the.ini file but no improvements.
I hope you will manage soon to come up with something :(
I guess for now there is nothing else i can try but reinstall everything from scrathces in a new bottle and see if some miracle happens :)

1 to 14 of 14

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiWEpmcWRxUmFaSFJnNUJXUCIsImdkcHIiOjB9