Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

WHAT A PITY FOR THAT SOUND PROBLEM.....

It's still me....
Fallout 3 steam version runs great with all the adjustments recommended in this forum.
It's a pity there is no way s far to get the audio effect to work....

Thanks, I hope so of you genius of the computers will soon find a solution :)

Hi,

There is a fix for this...it comes with caveat and notes...;

http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=21609

The caveat is that patch has to be applied to the core wine source
code (before you compile it)...

....the notes go like this -- the patch is diff'd against wine-1.1.38
and CXG-9.0 is based on wine-1.1.42 right now. To do this -at all- in
crossover means you'd have to grab the crossover-wine source itself,
check if the patch will apply/is still appropriate for the crossover-wine
source, and if so, possibly rework the patch to suit, you'd have to check
it's not going to break anything else...and then, I suppose, you'd really
have to check what version of libs/headers the crossover-wine source was
actually intended to compile/link against because your system libs/headers
might differ (breaking something)..yuddayuddayudaah...and it gets murky and
gray wrt which wine version the patch works against or not...

...all entirely possible, but could lead to psychosis...

....better idea -> someone with this title grab the wine-1.1.38 source and
the patch mentioned in the link above - apply the patch then compile/install
wine-1.1.38 and check to see if the patch actually works on your setup. Is
this hoisted on Steam? If so, grab winetricks and install Steam first..ie;
' ./winetricks steam '...caveat: I don't know if that'll work with 1.1.38,
the new Steam GUI that is...(does work in 1.1.42+ here). If it does work, you
might try the same with the wine-1.1.42/44 and see what pans out there...if I
had this title, this is the sort of path I would follow....

...once I am 'pretty damn sure' the patch actually works, then I will let the
Awesome Ninjas know via an email to info@codeweavers.com the what I have discovered
in testing...along the way, I would've already submitted a support ticket saying
'sound not working properly in fallout3'...then, there's a good chance that the
patch itself will be considered for inclusion in the next crossover wine build
(provided it doesn't break anything else) -- in the meantime, use the wine-1.1.3?/4?
build to experience post nuclear holocaust phun 8)

That's sort of the way things work...and I know the Ninjas are very very busy right
now....I have seen this title getting a bit of traffic lately though, so I might
just echo a ping to the Ninjas myself wrt that observation...

Cheers!

Wow! Thank you so much for all this information.

1: I have the steam version

2: I guess I could resolve everything if I manage to downgrade Wine from 1.2 to 1.1.37. I installed it through MacPOrts to get the sound patch

Do you know of any downgrading package? Can you tell me how in terminal I can downgrade from 1.2 to 1.1.37?

Thank you a lot!

Well, as a matter of fact, someone posted in the tips&tricks section
here about this in the last 'x' hours - check that out -- they would
also be able to give you a more concise answer as well, seeing they
actually have the tilte and have played around with it...see;

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=4639;tips=1

CXgames 9 How To:

Cheers!

Hey dude. I posted a link for winmm.dll.so from wine 1.1.37 on the tips and tricks. Not sure how long it will last. You could download it from there and replace the one you have in crossover games.
So you have Wine installed already? You should just be able to remove it, then install the old version. It's hard to downgrade wine. However, if you download from the link on the tips and tricks it makes this kind of moot.

I'll try. thank you!

This should stop you from having to install or alter wine in any way. You should just be able to download the winmm.dll.so file then Right-click on CrossOver Games and select Show Package Contents. Then, within there, winmm.dll.so should go into Contents/SharedSupport/CrossOverGames/lib/wine. You probably want to back up the one that's there, first, though.

This is all messed now :(:(:(:(:(:(

I start steam and get this message: "Steam.exe: unable to load library SteamUD.dll Win 32 Error 129 Module not Found"

I did everything you said, and copied the file in the right location. I'm desperate now :(((((

If I put back the old file then everything starts to work again but the sound is still missing. Are you sure you uploaded the right file?

Thank you!

James, any idea why your file is causing me this problem?

I'm not sure why it's causing that problem. Did you back up the old winmm.dll.so? If so, replace it and see what happens. Since the error isn't doesn't seem related to this particular .dll I doubt that is what is causing it. If I were you I would make sure to disable in game community in steam (right click Fallout 3 in your library, click properties and uncheck the box.), and check the file integrity of your game through steam (right click on Fallout 3 in your steam library, click Properties, then the Local Files tab and "verify integrity of game Cache.
Other then that I'm not sure at all. If all fails, restart from scratch. You shouldn't loose your game saves.
I was actually having a similar issue with TF2, but I don't even have Fallout 3 installed right now so that was not the cause of it. I believe there is another underlying bug inside steam with crossover.

Folks, you can't take a binary compiled for Linux and use it on a Mac. James, is your winmm.dll.so built on Linux?

Yes it is. My bad. I didn't realize that. I will post a note of that on the tips and tricks.

Thank you all guys, but I have a last question in order to try to make the game run.
How do I install a previous version of WINE? If i manage to compile or install wine 1.1.37 and exctract that file i might perhaps solve the problem.
Whenever I run the command in termina however i get always the 1.2. I downloaded the folder with 1.1.37 but i don't know how to install it.
If you have time ot reply it would be great.
Thanks for everything!

Hi,

Big fat warning -- I don't use a package manager ; my systems
are all built from tarballs, and so this is what plays out here....

If I look in my /opt directory ;

bash-3.2$ ls -l /opt/w*

/opt/wine -> wine-1.2-rc2
 /opt/wine-1.0.1
 /opt/wine-1.1.33
 /opt/wine-1.1.36
 /opt/wine-1.1.37
 /opt/wine-1.1.38
 /opt/wine-1.1.43
 /opt/wine-1.2-rc2

As you see, I have multiple wine versions installed but my 'current' version
is the topmost entry -- the symlink back to wine-1.2-rc2

If I want to change which version of wine I want to play with..for example, say
I want to use wine-1.1.38 instead....I simply issue ;

bash-3.2$ ln -sfvn /opt/wine-1.1.38 /opt/wine

Most all of the time, I use the following build template;

http://cblfs.cross-lfs.org/index.php/Wine

This won't work with a package manager (as they tend to put
wine in /usr and the $PATH precedence will squash finding
wine in /opt )....

That's how I manage 40 different versions of wine all at once 8)

Hope this helps....

Cheers!

ps: if you do use a package manager, remove the version you already
have installed via your packagemanager

Sorry alzazello. I'm not sure how to do it on a mac. Hopefully someone else here will be able to help you out with that. You did file the bug about the sound file right? Just making sure.

1 to 15 of 15

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiUzZVQjczc3lnNWQ5bWtIdyIsImdkcHIiOjB9