Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Works great ! But no music :)

Hi everyone !

I installed Fallout 3 from the French DVD, updated it to version 1.7, disabled Windows Live (http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1086) otherwise it wouldn't work. It was almost straightforward and the game works perfectly, pretty smooth etc.

However, although I do get sound, there is no music at all... Any idea ?

Cheers !

Hey there. Are you using the latest version of Crossover Games? If you are (9.1) then it should work, I believe that that bug was fixed. I could be wrong however as I have been very busy and haven't had a whole lot of time to check everything I should be of late. If you are using an older version of crossover games, see if you can update to the newest one, if not then follow the tips and tricks section. I have posted a work around for the music problem, however it's a bit complicated. You can find other people in this forum that have had the same issue. Let me know how it goes.

Hi James ! I'm definitely using version 9.1 😊 I just : created a bottle, installed from DVD, updated to the latest (French) patch, and disabled Windows Live to get it running. Apart from that all is 100% working (HDR, 1080p, smooth, amazing !).

I guess what was wrong was the general sound issue, but not the music related one ?

Thanks for your reply. I will investigate more but I don't have the time right now !

Cheers !

Okay, I quickly replaced this winmm.dll.so file and it made no difference -- sound is still working but no music either :)

I guess some people don't mind if there is no music, but IMHO, this is an essential contribution to the game atmosphere 😊

to be honest I'm not too sure what to tell you here. I'll try to investigate some more as well. I'm on a new system so I am starting my computer from scratch, but I promise I will try to look into it. Also what desktop are you running? Is pulse audio running?

Hello James,

thanks for your support :) But you don't have to help me so much, you're not actually part of the CW team, are you ? 😊

I do use Pulseaudio, but I have no issue at all with it. Since I installed the backports ALSA modules, dmix is enabled, and I can mix several ALSA and Pulseaudio apps with no problem.

But I can try to uninstall it, one day, if you think it may make a difference.

(Ubuntu 10.04 / Gnome / amd64)

Cheers & thanks again !

As expected, removing Pulseaudio made no difference. Besides, I see no mention of a solution for the music-specific issue in the forum.

Yeah, that was a long shot to be honest. So the issues your having is that the ambient music isn't playing? or the Radio stations aren't playing? There are no other sound issues? All voices, doors opening, foot steps, raider screams and such all work? Have you played this before on windows?

Ok guys, i will help you guys a bit. Will make a c4p file to make it al some more easy for ya guys. It will take some days though, because this needs all kinda tweaks. so hold on! Sound should be fixed too then.

Thats sounds great, but I think there might be an underlying problem with his/her install because sound is working fine, other then a bit of the in-game radio which is a wine bug that has mostly been over looked. Be sure to test it before you make the c4p though cause some of the tweaks might not be needed anymore. The G4WL disable is still needed but I'm not sure about the .INI yet as I haven't had a chance to check it. Thanks for the help though paulthetall

Thanks for making a c4p. But I fear that there might be more of an underlying issue with his/her install because I have tried it on a fresh opensuse, fresh sabayon and mandriva and all had sound working fine other then a bit of a bug with the in-game radio which is a wine bug that is mostly overlooked. Be sure to test the game out before you make the c4p though cause some tweaks might not be needed anymore with 9.1, I haven't had time to fully test it yet. G4WL disable is still needed though with update. Not sure about the .INI fix yet. Sound seems to be working fine though.

Hi there ! Thanks to both of you for the replies.

Well indeed : all sounds are working perfectly (voices, effects, ambiance sounds etc.). But there is no background music (yep, there are really cool background musics, not just the pip boy radio), no music in the menu etc.

I suspect some of you may even not be aware there are some real background music tracks ? 😊

You are right. I don't remember their being any music in the background from when I played it on windows. However, I don't use windows anymore I'm exclusively running Linux now so I will have to take your word for it. Sorry I can't be of anymore help to you. Best of luck.

I just did an install of the newest Fallout 3 GOTY in Crossover 9.1, using the C4P file. I can positively attest that the music does not work.

Macbook Pro, NVIDIA 8600M GT 512, OSX 10.6.4

1 to 14 of 14

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiQlJTNVltQXVZWkJwTE5UcSIsImdkcHIiOjB9