Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Mouse leaves the screen in windowed mode, can't really be played in full-screen

As per a whole number of Wine/CX games in Linux (bug 6971), the mouse still leaves the screen in windowed mode, and can't really be played at all in full-screen mode (unless you're ok with not being able to rotate the view 360 degrees to see things behind or beside you). In windowed mode, while running Metacity, I can open up the Compiz config settings manager, I can disable or enable "Rotate Cube" (doesn't seem to matter if it's on or off, only that it changes) while in windowed mode to get the screen to grab the cursor. Since the setting only seems to need to change - and not to be either disabled or enabled - I can only do this while actually running the game. I'd do it while in full-screen mode to get the same effect, but every time I alt-tab out of the game while in full-screen mode, the program mysteriously disappears. It still runs, but I can't get back into it.

If somebody has figured out a better way, I'd appreciate knowing, but the last time I checked, the bug in WineHQ was still very much active.

Too bad too... when I saw that gold medal and the installer file, I got my hopes up... but this game is still a silver at best.

Where are you talking about, for me it runs great!
Did you delete old game bottle and reinstall the game with the c4pfile?
Dont forget that the game is played and ranked to version 1.0.

An other thing for windowed mode you can do is setting in winecfg --> graphictab --> deselect the: hold the mouse directx in the window (or something in english)
See screenshot.

OW, and read the vertical sync thing too, in the c4pfile thread.

cheers!

G'day:

If you don't run Wine/Crossover in Linux, you may not have the problem. Are you running the game using a Mac?

If I understand bug 6971 correctly, it has everything to do with the way in which Wine interacts with the X11 environment. The details of the bug are pretty exhaustive (http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6971), and I honestly don't have the skills myself to really get into or fully understand the details myself... but I do know the problem persists.

Basically, the problem you get when running this game (old bottle deleted, new game installed with the c4p file) is that your character can't look around 360 degrees. You bring the mouse cursor over to the edge of the screen, but the screen doesn't "grab" the mouse. When running in windowed mode, the problem is more clear: dragging the mouse to the corner of the window sees the mouse escaping the window entirely. This happens in any version of Fallout 3, from 1.0 - 1.7 (and a number of other games, judging by the list of games attached to the bug).

The problem may be fixable on a game to game basis... I remember I had this problem in Bioshock when installing it just using Wine, but found it resolved when I installed it in Crossover (9.0, I believe). And as I mentioned, there is definitely a workaround for Fallout 3, but I still can't play the game in full-screen mode... which is too bad.

The option to grab the mouse in winecfg doesn't seem to make a difference, nor does creating a virtual desktop.

I haven't tried anything with vertical sync yet though. I'll do that when I'm able and I'll see if that makes any sort of a difference.

G'day,

You're right - 6971 will never been fixed in short order - I had a chat with one of the
wine devs about it, and what 6971 really needs is some extra functionality in the
Xserver code, and then a 'properly' fix for 6971 can be coded -- at present, every
paych submitted to fix 6971 gets rejected because they basically hack around the X
shortcoming -- they're not actually fixing anything in wine as such,

C'ya!

Hello,

Yes you are right, i have a Mac, maybe thats the difference. It might be linux related.
In that case i cant judge anything for Linux, i only can speak for Macusers.

I am NOT running this on MAC and it works perfectly for me. In both full screen and windowed. I actually haven't heard of anyone having this issue with Fallout 3. I don't use Gnome, but I have tried it on KDE, e17, and LXDE without any issues. I also don't use compiz, I use kwin or ecomorph with e17 (I know it's similar but not the exact same cause of the hacks). Also what video card do you have? I remember having that issue more often with games when I was using my old ATI card. I'll try to look into this a bit more for you though.
Have you tried Manage Bottles -> Control Panel (tab) -> Wine Configuration and check box for Allow DirectX apps to stop the mouse leaving their window. Try that and see if it works.
Oh, that was posted already. My bad.

Fallout 3 is listed as being affected by this bug, and affected it be. Good that you aren't affected by it though! Means that it might actually be fixable in some capacity...

I rune GNOME on my machine. Compiz is installed, but never active when I start up games in Wine... I always make sure to run everything in Metacity. My video card is a NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250. And yup, I've tried the "Allow DirectX apps" option in winecfg, but... I honestly suspect that option hasn't done a thing for quite some time.

On the plus side, I found out that windowed mode just got a bit easier... I no longer have to muddle around with compiz config settings to get my screen to grab the mouse. Seems that just clicking outside of the Fallout 3 window once and then back into it again will convince Wine to grab the mouse cursor for me.

The only downside to that is that it still means I can't run the game in full-screen mode... largely because of another, possibly unrelated (but possibly related) bug in Wine that sees my Wine application disappear (while still running, mind you) when I ctrl-alt out of some full-screen applications, or try to switch workspaces.

If that lil' bug could be fixed, it would 'solve' the problem. Sort of.

Daniel Booy wrote:

snip<

Seems that just clicking outside of the Fallout 3 window once and
then back into it again will convince Wine to grab the mouse cursor
for me.

The only downside to that is that it still means I can't run the
game in full-screen mode... largely because of another, possibly
unrelated (but possibly related) bug in Wine that sees my Wine
application disappear (while still running, mind you) when I
ctrl-alt out of some full-screen applications, or try to switch
workspaces.

If that lil' bug could be fixed, it would 'solve' the problem. Sort
of.

Hi, that sounds a little like another issue -- there's this problem in 9.1 (affects
linux for sure) with Source based games wherein you have no keyboard input if you
turn emulated desktop on (it may even do it fullscreen too) -- one has to alt-tab
to another window, acquire it's focus, and then alt-tab back to the game and then
keyboard input works -- like I say, not mouse related but of similar ilk. I have
a ticket on that one, but #6971 is a right pain for soooo many games ; I'll have
a chat with one of the devs this week to find out what the status is with that...

Cheers!

Daniel thats interesting, we have the same vid card as well. What distro are you using? I know it seems kinda moot, but I'm just trying to single out the problem. As I said before it might be worth it to try another DE as well. Even something as simple as openbox or lxde. Something that uses something other then metacity as each DE acts differently. As for the Alt + tab issue and the game disappearing but still running in the background, I believe that plagues everyone with fallout 3 as far as I'm aware. There are even issues with it on windows in that respect. Or at least I used to have that issue when running windows with this game some time ago... damn msn messenger... You seem to know your way around wine and and CXgames so perhaps you could looking into the force mouse override hack that is in winetricks. I'm not entirely sure it will work as I haven't had this issue with FO3, but it worked for me with borderlands and ghostbusters. It might make the game unplayable though as well because there are so many things you have to be relatively percise and it's always centering the mouse to the center of the screen, but I suppose it would be worth a shot. I would tell you the hack exactly, but I can't remember it because I haven't used it for a long time, couple years even cause before this I was using POL and there are winetrick hacks in that... Haven't needed any with CXgames. I'm really sorry to hear you are having more issues with it then I am.

I have tested this game on Kubuntu (fairly bad performance), Mandriva (decent performance), Opensuse (decent performance) and Sabayon (very good performance). I'm not sure why but I have found a general performance difference between each distro I try. Perhaps it's the difference of how they are created and set up. All with the GTS 250 and all the same drivers between each distro except Opensuse and sabayon. Oh yeah, all on KDE, e17 or lxde. Glad to hear you submitted a bug, that is likely your best bet at this time.

Fallout 3 is listed as being affected by this bug, and affected it be.  Good that you aren't affected by it though!  Means that it might actually be fixable in some capacity...

I rune GNOME on my machine.  Compiz is installed, but never active when I start up games in Wine... I always make sure to run everything in Metacity.  My video card is a NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250.  And yup, I've tried the "Allow DirectX apps" option in winecfg, but... I honestly suspect that option hasn't done a thing for quite some time.

On the plus side, I found out that windowed mode just got a bit easier... I no longer have to muddle around with compiz config settings to get my screen to grab the mouse.  Seems that just clicking outside of the Fallout 3 window once and then back into it again will convince Wine to grab the mouse cursor for me.  

The only downside to that is that it still means I can't run the game in full-screen mode... largely because of another, possibly unrelated (but possibly related) bug in Wine that sees my Wine application disappear (while still running, mind you) when I ctrl-alt out of some full-screen applications, or try to switch workspaces.

If that lil' bug could be fixed, it would 'solve' the problem.  Sort of.

Ow you did have set the MouseWarpOverride=force in the register(HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\DirectInput)? maybe thats why you cannot turn 360 agrees around in fullscreenmode.

1 to 10 of 10

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiWUpzTVhDVEVQM2I4WGhFYiIsImdkcHIiOjB9