Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Fallout crashes every 30 mins

Hi

First of all I'm really glad I got this game working in the first place, it's playable but there are still many bugs.

I'm running it on a macbook unibody (13“) with cog 9.1
I installed it with the cp4 file, latest patch (1.7) / disabled game for windows.

I had to check vsynk and uncheck windowed mode to make the game start. Now it works in a windowed full screen, dock und upper bar is still visible.

In the tutorial the game was running perfectly very smooth and I don't remember any crashes. But in the wastelands I had several random crashes (like this):
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y74/Koyak/Capturedergion2-5.png

After this I have to restart the game and cog
Now as I go further trough the game these errors become rather rare. But there is an error I get on a half-hour bases:

First the pipboy starts bugging (computer terminals as well), it turns orange (see screen). Then textures appear on the pipboy and the menu screen. Sometimes even on the gamescreen with additional white flickering.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y74/Koyak/Capturedergion1-5.png

The funny thing is that this error happens every 30 mins so I save a lot and if i restart fast at the first signs I simply have to restart the game. Otherwise it freezes after some minutes and I will have to restart the game.

So I if you experience something similar or if you found a way through..
Thanks in advance

JR

PS: I forgot the black mouse on the middle of the screen, I can make it disapear by switch from one space to another (with spaces). The game mouse pointer ist also really buggy. I reduced the mouse speed at maximum so now its playable. Yeah and sounds work great but no in game music.

Hey there. I'm glad it's mostly working for you.
Quick question though. Do you know what video card you have in your mac? Also are you using the newest drivers for it?
Also could you tell me the rest of the specs of your mac.
If I remember correctly I was having very similar issues with my old Radeon card, I'm not saying thats what it is, but potentially. I would get lots of graphical glitches and a bit of random slow down and textures disappearing just before it would crash. However, I also run this on Linux and not on a Mac so there are similarities, but still a world of difference.
Is there any sound stuttering before it crashes?

I have exact same issue as reus. Have Imac Nvidia 9400M. Looks like it has to do with memoryleaks or something, that if videomemory is full it crashes. Before it crashes i really notice a slowdown, just as memory has some difficulty/is full. OW and latest videodrivers...for the mac its different then linux. If there is a newer driver it autoupdates by apple. So thats not the case.

Ow and reus, you should select in options all window resolutions. I dont have black mouse in middle of screen and no mousepointer issue.

Ah yes, here is the bug also: http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=21973

Hi

I have the same Nvidia 9400M in my macbook. Also I have 4 GB Ram.

When you say "all windows resolutions" what do talk about an in game option or one of the startmenu?

I can't really figure out where it is because my gmae is not english.

Thanks in advance

JR

jeeej!!!

http://www.winehq.org/announce/1.3.4

[i]Bugs fixed in 1.3.4:
21973 Fallout 3: err:d3d:resource_init Out of memory![/i]

hey guys, i have the exact same problem - is there a (simple) way to integrate wine 1.3.4 (or .6) in crossover games 9.2. because that seems to solve the problem? or am i asking a fully dumb question?

Hi,

Unfortunately no, there's no way to do what you want here, you'd be
better off trying wine-1.3.6 to check is it -is- actually fixed ; I
note at the bottom of the winebug that someone still claims to have
crashing wrt 1.3.4, so it'd be prudent to double check results here.

Cheers!

Don, thanks for your answer - so what do I do now? BTW, I am referring to my MacBook Pro 2010, 10.6.4. NVidia.

Hi,

That...would involve installing wine into OSX...lemme check
...yeah, 1.3.6 is available via macports...you would need do..;

http://www.macports.org/install.php

Once you get that installed and running, you can issue the
command port install wine-devel or such, and then install
Fallout3 into that wine installation (not Crossover) and see
what happens...

Cheers!

Thanks again, I will try and see how it goes. Will report later.

Hey Stan. What video card do you have? Are there any tell tale signs when it is going to crash, like any corruption or anything? Try running the game on a bit lower settings and see if that helps.

Hi James, I have a NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M on a new MacBook Pro.

I just re-installed the game while I'm waiting for Xcode to download (for Macports) in a new bottle, following some of the tricks in the tips section - and it was running really well inside of a large warehouse/supermarket, but crashed when I left the building. After that when I restarted I could walk out but something rather strange happened: I could not turn around full circle - only maybe around 90 degrees. I found out that when I changed "bBackground Mouse to 0" in the fallout.ini this behaviour stopped but then the proble was that the mouse kept "dropping" towards the bottom of the screen (both in fullscreen mode, making it unplayable.)

James: I did not notice any slow downs regarding the crashes before but sometimes it went along a flickering screen and also the pip boy images would dissappear.

Ok, yeah that is what I meant by corruption, by the pip boy edges disappearing along with foliage and facial hair and what not disappearing. To help with that the best thing you can do is to run the game at lower settings. There seems to be a memory leak or something. This also happens in windows just at a much slower rate. As far as the mouse issue, I'm not too sure. Could try putting it back to 1 and see if it has been fixed. As far as the 90 degree issue, you need probably need to use MouseWarpOverride with Force in the registries.

1 to 14 of 14

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoieGVNY1lmS2hTTlVNNFp4UCIsImdkcHIiOjB9