Fallout: New Vegas Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Fallout NV Crashes a Lot

Hello! So I can run Fallout NV but it crashes a lot. Sometimes almost immediately; sometimes after 15 minutes of play. I save a lot, but still, I have to relaunch the game. I will notice the screen starts to flicker or when opening the PIP Boy I cannot see the screen in the PIP Boy or I get an image of icons.

I'm running CX10. I have a MacBook Air, 4GB, 2.13 GHz Core 2 Duo, NVIDIA GeForce 320M.

The issue seems to be unrelated to running in Windowed or non-Windowed mode. I feel like it's some setting somewhere....but I'm just not sure.

Help?

I would recommend trying to run it with lower settings if possible. I have found this to help with both FO3 and FO:NV. It almost seems like it's a memory leak or something, but every time I have tried to log it to find out exactly what it is it would run fine till I quit, just bad luck I guess.

Also make sure you have the latest video drivers, that might help.

James,

Thanks for the tip. I probably should have thought of it, but it definitely helped. I still had issues of the same variety, but they took much longer to build up. So instead of playing 5-10 minutes and then crashing, I was at least 20-30 minutes. A much better experience...if not perfect.

Thanks!!!!

I've found (if using an LCD monitor) setting the game resolution to the same as your monitors' native resolution increases stability for me,
Lowering graphical settings, and having things like antialiasing set to your GFX cards lowest applicable (but not off) setting also increases performance and results in less crashes.
Still a few bugs with regard keybindings occasionally dropping or GFX artefacts developing, though these are less regular and not persistent - if too annoying a quick save / quit / reload, returns me to nice and stable..

anyone was lucky to find a way around? I can play for about 10-17 minutes before it crashed and the game needs about three quarter minute to boot so its not that big fun right now... Already tried to put everything on low, but it doesn't only looks shitty it almost helps nothing. Whats about the patch under tips&tricks, could this help or is it only for 9.2 (currently installed latest cxgames). This game works really good like fo3 already did, bit the crashes are to often. When they would be about half an hour or more I wouldn't complain, would be a great way to know when to take a lil break, but ten minutes are too fast....

I too am suffering from crash after crash. The FPS issue isnt even a big deal after you've tweaked with the game enough, but my God the crashes.. Sometimes they'll leave you alone for an hour, sometimes they'll hit in minutes. If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this, or if there's some kind of New Vegas patch that I'm missing, it would be appreciated. Thanks!

It could be a sound issue. Maybe someone tries to completely delete pulseaudio and to settle back to alsa...

James wrote:

... every time I have tried to log it to find out exactly what it is
it would run fine till I quit, just bad luck I guess.

Is there anything in particular you'd be looking for in the log. I just got a log of it when it crashed, and the last few lines seem to indicate the problem

err:d3d:buffer_create_buffer_object glBufferDataARB failed with error GL_OUT_OF_MEMORY (0x505)
err:d3d:buffer_create_buffer_object Failed to create a vertex buffer object. Continuing, but performance issues may occur
wine: Unhandled page fault on write access to 0x00000000 at address 0x53b49045 (thread 0043), starting debugger...

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiazJjbXRNNFFoRk1wcHZ4ViIsImdkcHIiOjB9