Fallout: New Vegas Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

How To Install Fallout New Vegas on Mac

I've had some serious problems installing FNV on my Mac but I got it to work somehow.
I have just been able to test this with the Steam Version.

Create a new Windows XP bottle and Install Steam, DirectX9 and Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0 AND
most importantly the Mac Drivers that come with the newer versions of CrossOver.

The performance is... ok with medium settings on my ATI HD 5770.

Great to hear you got it working. Have you played it for long? How much RAM do you have?

I have found that most of the time it refuses to start (although I haven't tried in a few versions of crossover) because "not enough free memory" (what it means is "too much memory" - I have 16GB, but it only starts if 13GB or so is free), and when I do get it to start, it crashes after 1/2 hour or so because it runs out of graphics memory. But it's possible these issues are resolved now in Mac Driver, or newer versions of wine...

I've played through the entire game and it just crashed four or five times but
I didn't ran into the out-of-memory-problem you described, the game just froze for me
at some points.

I found out that deactivating Anti-Aliasing and Antisotropic Filtering would prevent the game from crashing
that often and (who would have thought :D) increase the performance dramatically.

I was able to max out all the other settings and still got 40-60 FPS. Unfortunately in some situations (explosions,
hordes of enemys...) the framerate drops to 5-10 FPS.

My Specs:

Mac Pro 1,1
2 x Intel Dual Core 2.66 GHz
5 GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM RAM
ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB VRAM
Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiQWc0UlJxVmFRbktXVVk5bSIsImdkcHIiOjB9