Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

GOG.com version works without incident

The downloadable version of Fallout Tactics available at GoodOldGames.com worked and installed just fine. It comes fully patched to the latest version (1.27) and has no CD requirement. I have so far only played through the tutorial levels and am working through the first level, and so far haven't encountered any problems.

What version of CX Games are you using?

Seems to break with the latest Wine and CX Games:

http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=15082

=/

Yeah, it crashes during start in cxgames 7.1.2 the same way as it does in wine >= 1.1.3. Pretty disappointing.

It crashes on me also in 7.1.2. Too bad I just bought it.

Hmm, at the time I think I was using CX Games 7, not 7.2; it was the latest version at the time of Codeweavers' Lame Duck Challenge last September or so. Once I get my MacBook Pro back from my friend I'll install CrossOver Games 8 and see if that fixes things.

Taking the cue from GOG, shouldn't this game be listed under Interplay? Also, does anyone know where to find a demo? I'm having issues with some demos (this game and others) where the exe I download simply wants to launch its on downloader to download the game. Only it never downloads anything. Is this a CrossOver thing, or is it simply that the source for the demo game file is long gone?

Erich Dethmann wrote:

shouldn't this game be listed under Interplay?

It was developed by Microforte. Developers are more important than publishers.

After doing a little digging, I've found out how to get Fallout Tactics working in Mac CrossOver again.

Apparently people on the WINE forums have gotten it to work after the recent releases of WINE broke this game (as well as several others) by running it in windowed mode. Using "Emulate a Virtual Desktop" doesn't work.

1) Go to "Run Command..." in the Programs menu.
2) Click "Browse...." and navigate to where BOS.exe is located.
3) Type "-window" (without the quotes) at the end of the path.

At the end, the entry in the Run Command window looked like this.

"/Users/(your user name here)/Library/Application Support/CrossOver Games/Bottles/winxp/drive_c/Program Files/GOG.com/Fallout Tactics/BOS.exe" -window

Hitting "Run" runs the game just fine. The only disadvantage is that you're locked in 800 x 600 resolution (at least, that's what I think it is) and there's a slight performance hit, though it may be just my own perception of things. But in windowed mode the game works as well as it did before, in my testing.

Oh, and I'm on CrossOver 8 running in 10.6.1, on a 2.16 Ghz C2D MacBook Pro.

EDIT: Note that I'm working with the downloadable version provided for sale by GoodOldGames; if you installed from the original CDs the path name will be different.

That's a good tip. You should apply for being an advocate for this game so you can write this in the tips&tricks section.

I too can confirm that the GOG version works well under CrossOver 8.1.4, though I must run the game with the "-g" switch on my MacBook, which has an Intel GMA X3100. Thus, my shortcut reads:"/Users/(your user name here)/Library/Application Support/CrossOver Games/Bottles/winxp/drive_c/Program Files/GOG.com/Fallout Tactics/BOS.exe" -g. (Incidentally, the command line options are "-3" for DirectX 3, "-7" for DirectX 7, "-f" for fullscreen, "-g" for Windows GDI, "-m" for no music, "-s" for no sound, "-w" for windowed mode, and "-path[insert relevant path]" for mod files.)

Many thanks to rampancy. Without his post I wouldn't have bought the GOG version.

1 to 10 of 10

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoick03UWRXdFlOZ2VMUlFwUCIsImdkcHIiOjB9