Fallout Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

[COG 10.2.1 Linux] CD release - exits after initial loading screen

COG 10.2.1 Linux. I own a CD release. Game starts and shows the Please stand by screen for about 2 seconds. Then quits with no warning. Running it in a window (virtual desktop) doesn't help.

What bottle did you install into? I had success with Windows XP bottle, but I installed Trilogy version of the game.

Might also want to check if there's any patches to install after the initial install from CD.

I had a similar problem that I was able to fix by replacing the fallout.cfg file with a different one from a previous installation. I've narrowed it down to the following line:

art_cache_size=257

It was originally 1020 and that caused the problem.

Same issue here.

Installing from original CD from 98
Crossover 11.0.3 for mac
Have tried various windows version, 95/98/2000/XP. 95 & 98 allow game to install, 2000 & XP show a not supported message.
Wondering if the version of direct X from the disk needs to be installed for it to work, however when I do this it asks to restart machine, which causes the system to go a bit screwey. Can this be installed in some other way using Crossover bottle manager?
After install on 95/98 the Crossover setup shows install failed rather than successful, but files are installed.

Any help would be great as I'd love to play this game again.

andy wrote:

Same issue here.

Installing from original CD from 98
Crossover 11.0.3 for mac
Have tried various windows version, 95/98/2000/XP. 95 & 98 allow
game to install, 2000 & XP show a not supported message.
Wondering if the version of direct X from the disk needs to be
installed for it to work, however when I do this it asks to restart
machine, which causes the system to go a bit screwey. Can this be
installed in some other way using Crossover bottle manager?
After install on 95/98 the Crossover setup shows install failed
rather than successful, but files are installed.

Any help would be great as I'd love to play this game again.

I hate to say this, but the easiest recommendation I have would be to purchase the game off of GOG.com; it's relatively cheap anyway, but the major advantage would be that the installer works easily on CrossOver.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiaGdicExjNGNlejhKQ3lIRyIsImdkcHIiOjB9