Fallout Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

description of issues running Fallout.

Fallout installs fine using a win98 template for the bottle. I noticed it also installed the directx installation which came with the game (which I think is directx5).

Crossover then links a large number of overrides involving directx to the falloutw.exe profile.

The end result is that the game installs ok, and the title screen videos all play. But the main menu screen is black initially, but by 'painting' the screen with the mouse gradually fills it in pixel by pixel. Once the menu buttons are visible, they work.

The other issue is that the mouse is so jumpy that the game is essentially unusable, given that it relies heavily on the mouse to play efficiently.

I'm not quite sure how to proceed to try and resolve some of these issues. I know that in plain wine, the game installs flawlessly and the title screen comes up ok, however the mouse jumpiness issue is still a problem.

I haven't discounted the possibility it may be a hardware issue on my testing box (which runs a low-end nVidia FX5200 card with the proprietary drivers), however this should be ample for a 1997 game. On my laptop (which has an ATi Radeon R250 and uses the open-source driver), the game runs ok under vanilla Wine, but the mouse is still a little sluggish.

Is there a 'tweaking guide' for Advocates to help them try and get their application to work?

Have you tried a win2000 bottle? I have had trouble with some older games not working under a 98 bottle that then worked under 2000 bottle.

I haven't tried Fallout in 6.2, but I have it installed under Games 7.0 and it works fairly well. Installation went smoothly, and both the main menu and character creation screens work. The game itself starts, but it crashed about about 15 minutes. I haven't had time to try playing again, so I'm not sure if the crashing is regular thing, but up until the crash it seemed to work perfectly.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiQWFQeEdTSnZhY3RSN3ZITiIsImdkcHIiOjB9