Family Tree Maker Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Family Tree Maker is my only road block to full Linux Migration

I have been reading through the past posts and am not sure that I can trust my 15 years worth of research to a maybe it will work situation.

I am currently using FTM 13 (Family Tree Maker 2006) and have over 2.6 GB of data stored in my file. I am also a heavy user of FTM's direct link and auto searches at Ancestry.com. My family tree file is so large that I can no longer run a kinship report, even with 3.6 GHz CPU and 3GB of RAM, takes 2 hours or more to complete the task.

I have tested GRAMPS on my HP laptop running SUSE 10.1 and my Linux Training Box running SUSE 9.2. it was do-able, but lacked the live connection to Ancestry.com that I have come to depend on, (great for census referencing,).

I need FTM 2006 to work under Linux, or I need a program like GRAMPS to have the live connection function to Ancestry.com, because I WILL NOT UPGRADE TO VISTA! I am in need of a stable, known to work solution, no maybes, and no works sometimes, and no glitches. I know that is a tall order but that is what I want and need to continue with my research.

If anyone has a possible solution please let me know, I sick and tired of Microsoft.

Wondering if Kristin Bates has made any progress with avoiding Vista. My wife and I will soon face a similar dilemma. Right now she will probably run XP as long as she can. She loves FTM and has a huge
investment in it. I will probably just go completely Linux.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiQnJDR1NNVVQza1VtdGRtZiIsImdkcHIiOjB9