Far Cry Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Steam Far Cry Works!

Far Cry on steam(only $10!) installs and runs find. Everything has to be set to low settings unfortunately on my Aluminum iMac 2.0 HD2400. This game relies so much on the beautiful graphics though that I ended up playing the game in Boot Camp. On a higher spec system-perhaps the 3.06 Ghz iMac?--you should be able to play this game on higher settings and it should run fine. One bug... You cannot use the mouse wheel to switch weapons. This will crash the game with a memory not "found" error.

I have Macbook 4,1 And I have Steam FarCry too, but the game won't even start for me.

Far Cry will install but not run on steam. Crossover Games should not label this game "Honorable Mention"

I will be happy to lower the rank on it, have you tried the suggestions in the tips & tricks section?

I can't get this to launch. I downloaded from Steam and am using a new unibody 2.4g MBP running COG 7.2.0 and a Windows XP bottle.

I can launch the configuration panel and set everything to low. Then I try to launch the game. I get the Steam "Preparing to Launch Far Cry" window, which promptly disappears.

There are no useful suggestions in tips and tricks. Can anyone help?

Hey Adam,

works just fine on alu macbook OS X 10.5.6 (crossover 7.2 Steam Version)
wine settings for the steam bottle DirectDrawRenderer=gdi(I believe this is default, someone correct me if I'm wrong) UseGLSL=disabled, VideoMemorySize=256, VertexShaderMode=hardware. The other tweak for this bottle is the one mentioned in the World In Conflict thread, that is I disabled D3D10 and downloaded the dxdiagn (link is in that thread) and set that to native,builtin. Configuration-wise, I set everything to low and disabled Vsync. You may want to try starting the game with a low resolution, something like 800X600X32. You may also want to make sure DirectX is installed in the bottle. That being said, the game takes some time to start (1-2 minutes). If this is not helpful, you can look at the crash log and see if something there makes sens (missing dll...)

Thanks, I'm reinstalling into a new XP bottle so I can try messing with the settings. ...updates to come.

I think I've got a bigger problem (I don't know what I'm doing!).

DirectDrawRenderer=gdi is default, as is UseGLSL=disabled

I searched the registry and couldn't find VideoMemorySize or VertexShaderMode anywhere.

How do I know if DirectX is installed? If it isn't, what do I do next?

I'm completely new to Crossover/Wine, so thanks for being patient.

• I found the crash log, this is the section with errors:

03/22/09 20:51:37: dxdllreg: RegisterDLL(): Unable to find C:\windows\system32\bdaplgin.ax.
03/22/09 20:51:37: dxdllreg: RegisterDLL(): Unable to find C:\windows\system32\msdvbnp.ax.
03/22/09 20:51:37: dxdllreg: RegisterDLL(): Unable to find C:\windows\system32\psisrndr.ax.
03/22/09 20:51:37: dxdllreg: RegisterDLL(): Unable to find C:\windows\system32\vbisurf.ax.
03/22/09 20:51:37: dxdllreg: C:\windows\system32\mpg2splt.ax is registered successfully.
03/22/09 20:51:37: dxdllreg: RegisterDLL(): Unable to find C:\windows\system32\mpeg2data.ax.
03/22/09 20:51:37: dxdllreg: RegisterDLL(): Unable to find C:\windows\system32\msvidctl.dll.
03/22/09 20:51:37: dxdllreg: RegisterDLL(): Unable to find C:\windows\system32\psisdecd.dll.
03/22/09 20:51:37: dxdllreg: RegisterDLL(): Unable to find C:\windows\system32\wstdecod.dll.

This many missing files makes me think that I am missing something very basic.

Hey Adam

fist of all DirectX

Crossover=>Configure=>Manage Bottles=>Steam=>Applications
directx should be listed among the applications there as Microsoft DirectX Runtime
if it is not there try
Crossover=>Preferences=>InstallerAssistant and uncheck the box "Hide service packs and dependencies"
That will make some basic stuff available for install
Crossover=>Configure=>Manage Bottles=>Steam=>Applications=>Install Software and now you can choose from a list of packages
I should add that my steam bottle has directx, xml parser 3.0 and visual C++ 2005 redist installed.

The registry entries
Crossover=>Configure=>Manage Bottles=>Steam=>Control Panel=>winecfg to launch configure your bottle=>Graphics
under Direct3D you will see a VertexShaderSupport change that to hardware and check the Allow PixelShader Support box (that will create the registry entry VertexShaderMode)
Crossover=>Programs=>Run Command and choose Steam bottle and type regedit
Under HKEY_CURRENT_USER=>Software=>Wine=>Direct3D you can do edit=>new=>String Value
and name that VideoMemorySize. Select the corresponding string, right click and then Modify and type a number that corresponds to your graphic card in MB.
There are some other tweaks that you can try, like changing gdi to opengl in DirectDrawRenderer or enabling UseGLSL(just select the corresponding string vaue, right click and then Modify..,)
I would suggest to look for "Useful Registry Key" in the WineWIKI, most of them work just fine for crossover too

hope this helps
P.S. the tweak mentioned in the World in Conflict thread was meant for that game in particular, but I did not change my bottle settings, so that one is still in place. On a separate note, any change will affect all the games in that bottle, so it may turn some into non-working

Oh...
and try for starter to run the game in a virtual desktop, not sure if that matters, but that is what I'm doing
Crossover=>Configure=>Manage Bottles=>Steam=>Control Panel=>winecfg=>Graphics=>check Emulate Virtual Desktop

Well, I've tried all of these suggestions - including the file from the World in Conflict thread and it still won't launch. I didn't do the performance tweaks, because I didn't see the point.

I found this error message:
3/23/09 8:11:16 AM [0x0-0x182182].com.codeweavers.CrossOverGamesHelper.Steam Far Cry.Steam/.Steam (Steam Far Cry)[6831] Can't bind to root surface with no fullscreen context.

Hey Adam,

the performance tweaks are not exactly "performance" so give them a shot. I tested far cry with DirectDrawRenderer=opengl and UseGLSL=enabled and it launches. I have to say again that it takes 2-3 minutes to start so you may want to take a look at CPU activity (just use Activity Monitor) before deciding it is not launching. Also, are you running OSX 10.5.6?

Yeah, 10.5.6

I checked the process manager - far cry pops up for a second then disappears.

Thanks for your help, but I think I'm giving up here. Boot camp here I come!

aye, i have tried far cry myself and it works fine as long as you keep the setting on what it gives you to start with.

the only thing i would really like is to use my gamepad with it as well. does anybody know how to do this. it is a madkatz gamepad pro.

cheers...

lewis

right i have messed with some settings. and i got far cry working on the highest settings [very high]. basically all of the settings are the same.
it seems that the settings need to all be the same as each other, so high for everything, very high etc.

i am running on a 15" macbook pro aluminum 2.53 ghz, 4gb ram. it would be the 'total shit killer' if i could get my gamepad working for it [if anybody can help, please do]. then that WOULD be 'the shit'.

sorry for the swearing, but the graphics are nice when 'very high', 'the shit' :)...

lewis

1 to 15 of 15

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiOHZ4aE5jU1RRdHZuQ1dTQyIsImdkcHIiOjB9