F.E.A.R.: First Encounter Assault Recon Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Sound Issue

I'm running Crossover Games 9.0
OS X 10.6.3.
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16 ghz
Nvidia GeForce 7300 GT with 128 mb VRAM

System Profiler lists the audio as "Intel High Definition Audio"
winecfg lists the audio as "Core Audio".

I'm having a bit of a problem. When I first loaded the game, the sound was okay, but the radio chatter was just clicks. Now, the audio seems distorted. Is there something, perhaps in the registry, that might fix audio performance?
Thanks.

I may have solved the sound issue. Certainly, I've got it working for the moment.

In the Steam bottle, c:/program files/steam/steamapps/common/ look in your folder for FEAR. In that folder is a readme.txt with some sound solutions at the bottom. I used the first one, which involves WMFADist.exe.

In the Crossover Games menu, I clicked "Crossover Games Software Installer". I chose 'unsupported application', the 'Steam' bottle for location, and then 'use installer file' (from the Select Installer section). For the installer, I browsed to library/application support/crossover games/bottles/steam/steamapps/fear ultimate shooter edition and then I selected WMFADist.exe and clicked 'install'.

Sound, at least for now, is working, including radio chatter and music (which I hadn't realized was missing). It's not perfect sound, but the sound is good.

Short word of warning: still having some sound trouble. I'm going to reinstall and try again. We're not quite 'there' yet.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiRmU1Mm5TM1hCNDY4QndjVSIsImdkcHIiOjB9