FreeBSD Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Online petition for BSD Support

I saw this over at the PC-BSD forums:

A CodeWeavers CrossOver Office for BSD petition:
http://www.bsdnexus.com/petition.asp

Would not hurt to have more folks sign that bad boy.

Thanks for the link Chris!

I was looking at the number of downloads that Wine receives each release at sourceforge and it's kinda grim... Just over a thousand, here is the link btw:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=6241&package_id=77562

Even if everyone who downloaded Wine would buy a copy of CX for FreeBSD it would only come to around $60,000 and we all know everyone wouldn't even tho CX is a excellent product.

Me myself I believe the only way it will be feasible for CW to do a BSD port is to start off with limited app support and maybe even not do a port of there UI at first, have everything install and run from a terminal...

What do the lurkers here think of Office 97 through 2003 being supported via a terminal install/ execution?

It would save allot of time and money not having to port the UI over to BSD, and if there is adequate interest in a BSD support they could do the UI in a future release.....

I'm just trying to figure out how it could be plausible for CW to do a BSD port and not loose money...

Anyone care to share there Idea's ?

Tom

was looking at the number of downloads that Wine receives each release at sourceforge and it's kinda grim... Just over a thousand, here is the link btw:

True, however, that only tells of the sourceforge downloads, most users probably get the downloads from ports, which I don't think uses source forge, as ports tends to produce working binaries with less effort than compiling a standard source (at leat to my experience), and require less effort otherwise.

Also, how many people don't use wine, because while their app isnt supported by normal wine, but works with Crossover Office?

I really hope FreeBSD crossover office comes out soon.

I really hope FreeBSD crossover office comes out soon.

Hello Jim,

The only way I see it happening is if there are allot more votes and pledges in the future.

Cheers,
-Tom

I agree. I downloaded the trial before realizing it didn't work, and went with a tech support email before I found this. I'd love to support these nice people and their wonderful project, but not if I have to suffer Linux.

Anyway, I responded with a request that they host a better petition, since I can't do much in the way of voting without actually having a copy of crossover office, and I am not going to pay for software I cannot use.

my suggestion was:

Petition:

• User's name/email (email only used to inform the user when the BSD version becomes available.
  • Version of BSD used
  • Personal or Corperate
  • How many copies of the "basic" version would be bought
  • How many copies of the "delux" version would be bought
  • How many copies of the server version would be bought
  • Would you be willing to make a contribution (even less than $500) if the project were initiated

Another alternative I just thought of, since Crossover Office is open source, based on a GPLed app...

Contact the varous BSD dev groups (And OS X?), and ask them for help. They register when they help, and the amount of work done is audited/confirmed. Crossover Office then releases separate BSD and Linux packages, and the BSD crowd then gets a royalty of "X%" of the profit, split by work done, based on the sales of the BSD port of Crossover Office for a certain number of years. Little/no risk, many happy customers, a good chance for profit.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiQkVRYXFIVHR6dDRHbTVTRyIsImdkcHIiOjB9