Gothic 2 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Won't run because of a "hook process"

Installed fine, but launching it gets me this message: "A hook process was found. Please deactivate all Antivirus and Anti-Trojan programs and debuggers." A google search indicates that this is a common problem even for Windows users (though I never ran into it) and for current WINE users. Unfortunately, the solutions require doing things that I cannot do in Crossover. I think the the "hook processes" in question may actually be a part of WINE; the only processes running, other than taskmanager and explorer, are winedevice.exe, winewrapper.exe, and services.exe.

There's no "hook process" in Wine, but copy protection systems are sometimes confused by Wine. We try to address those problems, but it is tricky and sometimes not possible.

Not sure what the copy protection problem could be, as I already "circumvented" that particular obstacle. I've discovered that this has happened to many legit Windows users as well. Any other ideas?

UPDATE: I managed to get it working. For some reason, the NoCD crack for the German version works just fine for the English version of the Gold Edition game, with Night of the Raven installed. Although I occasionally get a crash on load in (don't remember the error message at the moment) the game seems to run quite well; very well, in fact. I tooled around the first level and gameplay was very smooth, even with draw distance turned all the way up.

So there you go. It apparently was the copy protection. Shame that I have to crack a game that I own, but I'm used to it by now.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiVGtkNzI0eTdoc3k1QmY4ZSIsImdkcHIiOjB9