Gothic 2 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

some questions

i installed gothic 2 the gold version under crossover games 7.1.1 on my macbook pro.
i also got a crack so that (even as i have the original CD) i do not need the CD in my drive. well the problem now is, sometimes the game crashes the moment it tries to load the intro movies. in any other occasion the game crashes when trying to load the gamemenu (in this occasion the intro movies are shown upside down which is really irritating). Anyway, in the tips & tricks section i found some advices but i do not know how to apply them.
for instance:

• The game crashes on startup; problems seems to be fixed in wine-0.9.32
    what exactly does that mean for me? do i have to install something or is this already part of crossover games?

-You have to overwrite the following dll files to start Gothic II with music enable:
dmband.dll dmcompos.dll dmine.dll dmloader.dll dmstyle.dll dmsynth.dll dmusic.dll
how do i overwrite those .dlls? do i have to delete them? or download different versions and replace those .dlls? by the way, where are they?

so please help me with that. 😊

avarchillion

To find those dll's, you'll need to go to an installed copy of WindowsXP to the windows > system32 directory. Grab them from there and copy them to the same directory in your Gothic 2 bottle. Then, run Crossover Games and select "manage bottles" from the "configure" menu. Select the bottle you want (Gothic 2, obviously) from the list on the left, then click the "control panel" tab and double click "winecfg" to launch it.

Next, in the window that pops up (may take a moment, be patient) click the "libraries" tab. In the field labeled "new override for library" type in the name of each of those dll files, minus the .dll extension. For example, you would type dmband, not dmband.dll, then click the "add" button. Once you have done this for all of the listed .dll's, click the "graphics" tab and deselect the two "Allow window manager. . ." options near the top. Now you can click the "OK" button at the bottom of the wincfg window to send it away.

Now, open your Gothic 2 bottle, and navigate to drive_c > program files > Gothic 2 > System. Open the "Gothic.ini and find the playLogoVideos entry; change the setting to 0. That will skip the long, boring intro video. Next, find the scaleVideos entry and change its setting to 0, which should fix video stuttering and possibly the upside down thing, though that has not happened to me. Save the Gothic.ini file and close it.

Now, the last thing you have to do, which I mentioned in the tips section, is use the crack for the German version of the game, not the English one. For some reason, it's the only one that works. I cannot link to it here, but if you are industrious, you should be able to find it. The one I downloaded was called "Gothic 2: dNdR v2.6 [GERMAN] No-CD/Fixed Image" and I actually had to manually add the .rar suffix to the file for some reason after it downloaded.

Good luck.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiTk5HTGs5a1h4U0dIMmRKOCIsImdkcHIiOjB9