Guild Wars 2 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Highest FPS

Allors,

We've seen a lot of people with FPS from 5 to 25. Time for those who have something to brag about to stand forward. Could anyone who managed to get satisfactory FPS post here ? It would encourage others to keep trying and not use bootcamp.

Thanks

I have discovered that CrossOver takes time to achieve correct FPS (at least on my Mac).

While I only get 1-5 FPS when entering an area, after 30s to 1mn, the game speeds up and achieve 15-20 FPS until I change of graphical environment.

I don't know the technical background but it looks like something is being calculated and reduces performance until its done.

Alexandru Balan wrote:

Allors,

We've seen a lot of people with FPS from 5 to 25. Time for those who
have something to brag about to stand forward. Could anyone who
managed to get satisfactory FPS post here ? It would encourage
others to keep trying and not use bootcamp.

Thanks

What is counted as satisfactory?
For me anything between 15 and 25 feels really smooth?
And I find the same as the poster above, the longer you're in an area/in game the better it works.

Just logging in tonight, with graphics settings set to "Best Performance," I got 10-15 right off, which seems to be ok for gameplay. Last night, with the same settings and after I had been playing for a little while, I was able to get around 25. Increasing the graphics performance obviously decreases that. I have the fixedshaderlimit set to 275, anything less seems to allow texture stretching (even 274!).

I am not sure. JV i suppose from the Wineforums is the one who checked Guild Wars 2 during the first Beta Weekend. He made a Youtube Video and used a Overclocked cpu. He got a good Frame rate. Even with all settings on. But he used just wine.

I bought a new Geforce to ensure the great FPS. But with this Card i can Confirm that the game will run the same, cause of nearly no usage of the gpu. If i have the PowerMizer on Adaptive i got just Performance Level 0. And even if i switch manual on the highest level i don't got extra frames.

Still with my Quad Core at 2,5 Ghz i got a nice Framerate. With lowest settings i got the stabilized 20 fps i could get. Setting higher the fps are not more less without moving.. but i hate it when the frame rate breaks every 5 seconds to 5 or 10 fps.

Actually i play the game with wine, cause i know how to launch thee game with a single command. I will suggest to made some more Tests with Crossover if i find the time. Playing the game (even with wine and with 22 fps) is so amazing. =)

Back to my Point. The person who set up the first Guild Was 2 on Linux with Wine, and the Youtube Video reach for my point of view really high settings and a high resolution with his overclocked CPU. So if you really want play Ǵuild Wars 2 on Linux with higher fps bought a new CPU instead of a GPU.

Hopefully there will be more progress on the GPU or threading support.

Additional: Guild Wars 2 did not utilize my Full GPU Power. I have no, really now Core with 100% during playing GW2. And still not nice fps rate. So i am not sure if my Tip helps. Please take attention to the GPU and the CPU if you report your experience with Guild Wars 2 and Linux.

And so on...

I checked now the new Crossover Build and more and more works fine. Just the frames are not so nice. For my PC i still have issues with the frames per second. I got 5 or 10 seconds less fps then in Wine 1.5.9.

Did Crossover solve the issue, circuit by -dx9single? Or it's just a little Hack that handle this command line switch automatic if it start Gw2.exe?

I referred to the one that used Wine and a new Ivy Bridge Processor and he have now 40-60 fps. I suggest that this is no progress in wine 1.5.10, but in the Processor he use. The new Ivy Bridge Processor have some GPU supported or GPU extension include in there architecture. And i suppose that this is the source why he got a fps boost in the game.

Chris2009 wrote:

And so on...

Did Crossover solve the issue, circuit by -dx9single? Or it's
just a little Hack that handle this command line switch automatic if
it start Gw2.exe?

It's just a hack, and it is possible (I'm not certain), that running without the -dx9single would increase performance. However, I believe that will running that way would result in chat & other keyboard input continuing to cause crashes.

i get mid 50's but crash every time i try to select a profession still -__-

Finally got it working on my Macbook Pro...on the "Best Performance" setting, I'm getting 26-28 fps. When I start to bump up any of the graphic settings, it slows down to like 7 fps.

James jacobs wrote:

i get mid 50's but crash every time i try to select a profession
still -__-

The main screen FPS doesn't really count xD. It's hardly rendering anything at all so it is of course extremely quick. (Same applies to character creation, all it's rendering is your character).

Disclaimer: I'm usually a standard Wine user, not a CrossOver user. I've tried CrossOver a few times, and it's nice enough, but doesn't give me, personally, any significant advantage over standard Wine.

Hardware:
AMD Phenom II x4 965 (stock speeds - 3.4GHz)
eVGA GeForce GTX 460 2Win (it's exactly the same as two 460's, I have SLI set up with AFR)
16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM

With standard Wine 1.5.9 with the raw3 and awesomium patches: 25ish FPS max
With everything the same except increasing my CPU clock to 3.8GHz: 35 FPS max (but I get a lot of instability pretty quick, stupid MSI motherboard)

With the GW2 build of CrossOver: 42ish FPS max. However, the game crashes every five minutes or so.

-Sam

I'll update my processor next Week from Quad Core 2.4 Ghz to 3,1Ghz I5. And hope this will increase my fps a little. Here, the game run very stable with Crossover i got just two freezes during the last 7 days and hours of playing.

Stepping from 2.4 GH Quad-Core to 3.1 GH i5 bring a performanceboost. Few Fps in the big towns (24 to 28 fps) to 48 fps in the skimpy hills. So i investigate the new power to shift up shadows, its still more fps-stable then before. Would be nice if the GPU or Threads are supported in the future. Its amazing how less hardware effort need this game to look awesome.

1 to 13 of 13

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoia2VWeVc1TnJ5d2VOWVB5VSIsImdkcHIiOjB9