Guild Wars 2 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

gw2 special build on Linux cannot install DirectX9

I have successfully uninstalled my current Crossover 11.2.1 and installed the special Linux gw2build of Crossover, but during the installation process the installation of DirectX 9 fails. I finish the install and try to install DirectX 9 afterward via Runtime Support Components, but it still fails with a window that pops and and says "Wine Progarm Crash - internal errors - invalid parameters received". I try to run the game and the launcher works without the -dx9single tag, downloads new files, and I can log in. When the game trys to start = Crash.

I am running Ubuntu 12.04
Intel® Core™ i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz × 4
GeForce GTX 560 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
64-bit

I can post the debug log if needed.
Any help would be appreciated

P.S. I have used the most recent gwtest build (.bin file) posted on Aug 30 7:00pm.

Same here. For me this also happened with the previous build.

Ubuntu x64, i5-2500K, GTX 260, driver v304.43

As far as the mentioned crash (spawns LOTS of crash report windows on top of each other) is concerned: I noticed it being related to graphics settings and registry tweaks.

• With UseGLSL=enabled the game crashes immediately after trying to turn the camera using the mouse. Keyboard input is fine.
  • Without GLSL, the game is stable (but looks kind of fogged) when running it on low graphics settings. Though, most of the settings do not matter, except:
    -- Raising Shadows, Shaders and Postprocessing settings drastically decreases stability.
    -- Window mode seems to be more stable than fullscreen.
    However, results are not exactly reproducible in terms of "setting option X to value Y causes the crashes"...

Btw, no "white rain" bug here.

Edit: Ofc, the lower section of my post refers to the crash when starting the game.

I deleted all my Registry Tweaks (ShaderLimit, GLSL, ect) as well as my Direct3D folder I created in the registry and tried to reinstall the DirectX 9 again, but it did not help. I received the same error messages from wine.

Thought this might help after reading the previous post. But NO.

Well, at least I assume this crash being related to the fact that we both cannot install directx-modern runtimes... whatever the reason (I don't get any useful debug output and the issue seems to be un'google'able).

Anyway, when I start the game using a vanilla wine, reduce the graphics details (all settings except resolution, refresh rate, etc.) to the minimum, and THEN start the game in crossover, I can pass the character selection screen and enter the world... do you experience the same? If so, I suppose our issues are identical.

In the standard Crossover build 11.2.1 I am able to play fine (except for the mouse/camera, gem store, and ingame mail). Graphics are great. The Standard Wine running gw2 is terribly slow and unplayable for me; I don't remember about the mouse/camera, gem store, or ingame mail since I have just been playing with Crossover build.

But yes, our situations sounds the same.

Actually, I find it hard to believe that nobody else is unable to install the DX Modern runtime in the special GW2 build...

I have this problem too, I have been unable to get DirectX to install on the special GW2 build. Eventually got GW2 working on standard Crossover. Would love to see this fixed so I can use the mouse look.

Matthew Walsh wrote:

I have this problem too, I have been unable to get DirectX to
install on the special GW2 build. Eventually got GW2 working on
standard Crossover. Would love to see this fixed so I can use the
mouse look.

Guild Wars 2 can be played/installed without the directx 9 installation using the special build , for most everyone it failed to install , however i hope you have access to the most recent .dat file or have a lot of time on your hands because the installation will continually crash before its completed and it will have to keep being restarted.

Thank you very much. I went ahead and installed everything and it is working fine. Thanks for confirming it would work before I went through the full install process. :)

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiSE5RR2FKQVZFcUo1VFNneCIsImdkcHIiOjB9