Guild Wars 2 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

GW2 Success

I'm very impressed by how well GW2 is working for me in Linux. I haven't installed Linux in a while because I was busy playing GW2 in Windows. But, with the recent release of Steam beta for Linux, I thought I would mess around. For others having trouble, this is what i did:

• Installed Ubuntu 12.10 x64
  • Installed Nvidia 310 experimental drivers
  • Downloaded and installed the GW2Test build from Josh's post
  • Ran the installer, let it get to the point where after you select the install location, and it starts downloading files, i stop it there.
  • Copy over my Gw.dat from my windows install
  • Launched GW2, logged in, went into graphics settings.

I noticed at first I was crashing a bit, and after some tinkering with options, I found this to be the best:

Under graphics:
Animation: High
Anti-Aliasing: FXAA
Environment: High
LOD Distance: Medium
Reflections: Terrain & Sky
Textures: High
Render Sampling: Native
Shadows: Medium
Shaders: High
Post-Processing: High

Best Texture Filtering: Disabled
Depth Blur: Disabled
High-Res Character Textures: Disabled
Vertical Sync: Disabled

Notes:

• At first, the background was kinda ugly, disabling the Depth Blur fixed that, and everything looks better.
  • It seems my crashes were probably caused by High-Res Character Textures option. Once this was disabled, crashes went away
  • You can probably mess with all other options, depending on graphics card, this is what I felt was best performance/appearance balance for my video card (GTX 560)
  • In standard battle scenarios, I'm hovering around 25-30 fps, which is quite playable. There are some hiccups, but its not too bad.
  • I made no Regedit changes. Don't know if this will help or hurt if I did.

Overall, after about 10 minutes of playing, i forget that I'm in Linux. Very impressed.

Thanks for your success story and detailed information.
I´m actually on mac and will stay that way, but i thought about playing around with linux aswell. This might becoming handy. ;)

Fabio Trotta wrote:

Thanks for your success story and detailed information.
I´m actually on mac and will stay that way, but i thought about
playing around with linux aswell. This might becoming handy. ;)

Glad I could provide some information that will hopefully help others. This upcomming year is an exciting time in Linux gaming, I'm looking forward to it.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiN0UyUDJLcHVKUEFDMkI1TSIsImdkcHIiOjB9