Guild Wars 2 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Game installs, but crossover doesn't know it.

I've successfully installed GW2 on Ubuntu 12.10, and logged into the game, but when I exit, Crossover starts the installer again and it just loops forever. The only way to stop the installer is to cancel the installation (even though it has succeeded!), but this means that the shortcuts are not created.

Anyone encountering this, or have any ideas/workarounds?

My fault ;)

The unfortunate fact about the Guild Wars 2 installer is that it crashes repeatedly when running under wine. It makes progress each time, but it crashes many, many times before it succeeds. Worse, it doesn't report a useful error code when it exits, so there's no way to tell whether a given run has resulted in success or is just another one of the many inevitable failures along the way.

So, CrossOver just loops the installer for "a while." Some people see better results than others, and CrossOver loops too long. Cancelling the install is the only way. (The other option would be to force the user to re-start by hand after every crash, but given that it's a multi-gig download, I figured it was easier to cancel at the end than to have to babysit the install).

So, cancelling the install is the way to go. To create a menu you will need to use the 'Edit Menus' tool in the bottle manager.

Sorry ... it's just a hack to get it running as well as it can.

Josh.

Ah, that makes sense.

Not sure how to create new menu entries in the "Edit Menus" window. There's a button for "Recreate ..." but that doesn't work (I'm guessing that it's b/c GW2 doesn't show up in the Applications tab).

I'd appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction. Thanks.

Edit:

The only way to start GW2 - AFAIK - is to re-run the Crossover installer, which means keeping a copy of the 16GB Gw2.dat file around. Unless I'm missing something, this is very non-ideal.

IMO, it'd be preferable to do one of the following:

a) Figure out some way of detecting a successful installation, and then stopping the restart-loop at point.

or

b) Remove the restart-loop workaround. Without it, while the install process would be highly annoying, it'd still preferable to the current state.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiOVJyUWJ3U21hbWVVTVluTiIsImdkcHIiOjB9