Guild Wars 2 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

GW2 under Crossover for Mac

Have it working. It works fairly well. I do have a few issues. I'm hoping some tweaks from Codeweavers to take advantage of latest OS X update will fix them.

First, yes their is a native client. I prefer Crossover for a few reasons though.

1. System runs cooler. I run this on my rMBP, and I run a good 10 degrees cooler
  2. I can control the Window screen size. Can't under native. It's set sizes and they suck. lol

Some issues though.

1. When changing character colors on armor/cloths rendering screws up. Not sure why. I have to relog to see it on my char.. keeps old colors until then.
  2. Frame rates are slower under Codeweavers. At char screen, I get 60 fps with native mac client. With Codeweavers, I'm getting 40-50. Thats with the beta driver running.
  3. Magic Mouse scroll doesn't work correctly. Not sure whats up with that. Works ok with maps in-game, but when zooming in or out, it jumps from min-max, no actual scrolling. I count that mostly as a odd bug.. not a big deal. I can use a normal mouse fine.

The items above by no means stop me from using it. I much prefer the ability to resize my screen as I see fit with the game.

Hope we get official support. 😀

Tim Gillespie Jr. wrote:

Thats with the beta driver running.

What exactly do you mean 'beta driver'?

Crossover for Mac has the option to Enable experimental Mac Driver. Was released with v12 of crossover. Something new I guess.. Seemed to work well for Guild Wars 2.

Funny, now that you asked.. I realized I'd never tried it w/o the new driver.. The mouse issue goes away.. however, the graphics glitch when changing your armors colors w/dyes still does not show up w/o a relog. Frame rates shot up to mid around 60 as well.. Guess thats why it's called an 'experimental' driver. haha!

Will there be any improvements coming for GW2 in crossover? Specifically for Mac?

I know, they have the 'Native' client. But I'm finding I can't run it full screen w/o major overheat. Crossover seems to work better, smoother, and I can go full screen or maximize the window. I can't do former because of heat, latter because the official client only has static window sizes.

Anyway. Only major issues I have now is the odd ghosting / color overlay issue when changing character armor / colors and was hoping for some performance improvements.. Both seem video related.

Thanks for all your hard work!

btw there is no 'native' client, just a bad cider port...

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiZWZjR1I2UE01Y1lZTEwySiIsImdkcHIiOjB9