Guild Wars 2 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Performance Improvement tips for ubuntu 15.04?

Hi all,

My Crossover Linux trial is about to end and I'm probably going to end up buying it. However Guild Wars 2 is my go-to game for blowing off steam after work but I find myself in this situation

Rig Details

1. Ubuntu 15.04 64bit
  2. Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 with Nvidia Binary Drive Version 346.59 from nvidia-346
  3. More ram and Processor power than you can shake a stick at.
  4. Corssover Linux 14

Guild Wars 2 Details:

1. FPS of 7-8 FPS, this does not change in "Best appearance" mode or "best Performance". It's also about the same in fullscreen vs Window mode
  2. Through VPN or Normal connection my ping rate is 122 on average

is there anything you the community can recommend to bring my FPS up? I'd really appreciate any suggestions you might have, Thanks

My apologies for the late reply. I'm reading forums posts only intermediately and I am catching up on old posts.

The performance you get seems awfully slow. Guild Wars isn't really fast in CrossOver, but guessing from your hardware you should get at least 30-60 fps, certainly more than 7-8. Unfortunately performance is a tricky thing, and there can be dozens of possible causes.

Which window manager do you use? Try to disable compositing ("3D Desktop", ...). Try to disable vsync in the game if it is enabled.

Make sure no other process is consuming CPU time. Guild Wars should fully utilize at least two CPU cores. This can be seen as 200% CPU utilization in process monitor utilities like top.

I would recommend to try out 13.2, this is what I use, on my slow machine I get around 14-24 fps and on the slightly faster one 18-35 fps while with any 14 version I'm down below 12 on all machines.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiVDV3ZHB5OVdIRkpFOWNXVyIsImdkcHIiOjB9