Guild Wars 2 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Where's the exe?

Using Linux Mint

I open Crossover, and tell it to install Guild Wars 2. Installation goes off without a hitch, and after the installer runs I'm even able to run the game from the client that opened as part of the installation.

Problem is, my Crossover bottle has no way to actually start the program. I have no idea where it stuck the gw2.exe you need to run the game, so I have no idea what I should be running when I want to play. I don't know why Guild Wars 2 isn't in the installed applications list...

It will be a hidden folder in your home folder (at least mine is). Look for ./cxoffice if I recall correctly. Under that will be your Guild Wars installation, should be self explanatory from there.

I had the same problem. Currently running Ubuntu 17.10 but had the same problem with Ubuntu 16.04, elementaryOS, and Mint). I searched my entire ~/.cxoffice folder via my file manager for "gw2.exe" and nothing came up. I also browsed in the bottle's folders and there was no c:\Program Files\Guild Wars 2 folder. Interestingly, if I went to the bottle's Wine Configuration the Applications it showed "Gw2.exe" in the list.

My "fix" was to install it manually:

1. Go to Bottle>New Bottle....
  2. Give the bottle a name and change the type to Windows 7 (I used the 32-bit version rather than the 64-bit version).
  3. Install Core Fonts into your new bottle.
  4. Download the 32-bit Windows installer from arena.net website.
  5. Back in Crossover, click Install Windows Software... button, then Browse Available Applications... button, then select Unlisted Application.
  6. Click Select Installer button, then Choose Installer File... Browse to the location of your downloaded installer file and select it.
  7. Click Select Bottle button then select your new manually created bottle from step 1 & 2.
  8. Click the Continue button. The splash page should come up and start downloading the files it needs. At some point, it'll ask you where to install. Just use the default and hit okay. It'll do it's thing.
  9. Optional step. When the login page comes up, it'll start downloading updates for the gw2.dat file which is huge (mine was 38 GB) and takes awhile. You probably already did that when you used the regular CrossOver install method. I found the downloaded file in ~/.cxoffice/installers. So close Guild Wars 2 (the somewhat hard to see "x" in the top right of the splash page) then move that gw2.dat file into the new install's Guild Wars 2 folder (it'll replace the much smaller original file that was created during install). Relauch Guild Wars 2 (which, btw, should now have an icon/launcher showing up in CrossOver and probably even your regular system applications menus) and enjoy!

Guy Gaffney wrote:

1. Download the 32-bit Windows installer from arena.net website.

I would like to note that ArenaNet no longer provides support for the 32-bit client as of the launch of Path of Fire at the end of Sept 2017. That version could cease to function at any point as the official system requirements for GW2 require the 64-bit client.

I know this response is a late one, but the manual install worked for me as well. I installed it into a Windows 7 64-bit container and installed the 64-bit version of GW2. It works just as well as the 32-bit container and game. It's super fast to test out if you move the .dat file as described in the post above.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiVkdOZmZzV1U0dzZYVlVVcSIsImdkcHIiOjB9