Guild Wars 2 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Guild Wars 2 Freeze on Installer Launch

GW2's installer window has some fancy alpha channel window stuff going on that doesn't always work with all graphics cards. It'll cause GW2 to not start installing, even possibly freeze your computer.

The workaround is to launch Crossover, click the Bottles button in the top-left, select the existing GW2 bottle (or the bottle you want to install the game into), then go over to Control Panels and open Wine Config. Graphics tab, check on Emulate Virtual Desktop, and set the size to something like 1024x768. Then run the GW2 installer against that bottle and the installer will open and display inside a larger window, but not crash or freeze the computer.

After it's finished installing you can go back and uncheck the Emulate Virtual Desktop.

This worked for me after having it freeze my Xorg after the first few attempts before coming here. Thanks!

And FYI:

EVGA Geforce 950 GTX
Intel Core i5-3750k
16GB DDR3
500GB Samsung Evo 850

Actually, I am still coming across an issue. So, I create an empty Windows Vista bottle, and then run winecfg to enable the virtual desktop. Then, I go to Install Software, choose Guild Wars 2, and then the bottle I already created, and go. It says that I've downloaded everything, and I can run the game, but, no shortcuts are made, and there's no Guild Wars 2 folder in the bottle. As it turns out, the installer doesn't ask you where to download / install GW2, so the GW2.dat file is just sitting in my ~/.cxoffice/installers folder. So, instead, I downloaded the installer from guildwars2.com and used that instead of the built-in one, and that allowed me to install.

So, there's something weird with the one that CX uses.

I can confirm that it affects wine (including wine-staging) and Crossover. The first post indeed helps with the installation (keeping it limited to a 1024x768 display).

After you have finished installing, however, if you open the app with " --autologin" at the end, the auto-login will basically skip the launcher, eliminating the freezing issue (though you may need to limit the resolution again if there is an update).

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoienVxSnl6cjdjNTVhdHFXcCIsImdkcHIiOjB9