Guild Wars Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Directx 9

I can't seem to get this game to work.

It loads and I see the login boxes then the screen goes black and it appears the mouse cursor is in 16bit or something. I am using DirectX 9 which is installed in the same bottle.

I am using Crossover 6.2.0.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

IIRC, DirectX 9 support in 6.2.0 was fairly limited. I wasn't able to use it until about a month ago in the nightly builds, and even now it only seems to work for me in a WinXP bottle.

Things are improving, though. Stefan Dosinger has been doing a fair bit of work on DirectX9 support, especially with regard to Guild Wars. I'm currently running the nightly from November 26th on my iMac. I'm using DX9 in windowed mode with the window resized almost to full screen and most of the graphics options pushed up to max and it looks gorgeous. Only a few minor issues remain (occasional missing textures, invisible mouse cursor after moving to a different area).

My suggestion? Run with the "-dx8" flag until the next release, or try using a recent nightly build in a WinXP bottle.

What OS are you running it on and what bottle?

Hi Steve,

Which iMac are you using, as I can't use -DX9 with GW on my current model iMac 24" I have to use -dx8 -noshaders, & then the game works great in the nightly builds (which we are not supposed to talk about here!) 😉
If you want to reply in the Stefan's GW thread that is fine by me.

So you did run the DXSetup.exe file after the initial installation of DX9?
If not then DX9 is only uncompressed on your c: drive.

I wrote a short how-to in the Guild Wars Tips & Tricks on DX9 installation, because I can see that it would be easy for someone to just uncompress the file & not to have actually installed it & then think that they have a DX9 problem.

I'll give that a go, thank you.

handy wrote:

Hi Steve,

Which iMac are you using, as I can't use -DX9 with GW on my current
model iMac 24" I have to use -dx8 -noshaders, & then the game works
great in the nightly builds (which we are not supposed to talk about
here!) 😉
If you want to reply in the Stefan's GW thread that is fine by me.

I have a 20" iMac purchased in November 2006 running OS X 10.4.11. I'm running Guild Wars in a WinXP bottle (DX9 doesn't work in Win98). With recent nightlies I'm able to start Guild Wars without any parameters, and it uses DX9 by default.

Note that you do no have to install DX9 (and shouldn't) into the bottle; Crossover has its own DX9 implementation.

Also, not sure if you're aware, but there's news in the advocates forum about improved support for DX9 on the aluminum iMac's.

Don't use -dx9 until the new version of CrossOver is released. Which won't be too much longer I'm sure.

There is NO need to install DirectX 8 or 9, they are built into CrossOver, just use the -dx8 or -dx9 (if & when you can) as command line parameters from the CrossOver Menu - Programs - Run Command.

I have edited my Guild Wars Tips & Tricks post to reflect the reality of DirectX & CrossOver, as I was ignorant of the truth which has come to me from Stefan (a developer here).

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiYThkeHhkcFJ6V1FwOHZYNSIsImdkcHIiOjB9