Guild Wars Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

How did you install GW

Hey!! I was wondering how you installed GW. Mine doesnt work so i felt like seeing the ways other people installed it! Who knows, maybe its my own fault that i cant get gw to run.
~Voraka

What version of Crossover are you using? In 6.2.1 you just download the client from the website (http://www.guildwars.com/support/downloadclient/) and install it. I installed into a Windows 2000 bottle but I know others that have used Windows 98 and Windows XP.

If you go into Programs->Run command run gw.exe with the "-window" option if you want it in a window. The one big issue that I see with 6.2.1 is with changing resolutions. When you change the resolution, hit the accept button and then quit the game and go back into it or it will never look right. :)

simon

Hey! I tried installing it off the website, but it didnt work, would the CD work better?

Hi,

I would recommend the CD. I ran the web install and it seemed to stall right at the end.

Or if you have a Windows machine available, you could copy the whole GW directory (usually C:\Program Files\Guild Wars) to your bottle. I did this after the stalled web install and it worked!

I suspect the straight copy won't work in a fresh bottle as there are probably some libraries/registry keys needed, but the web install gets far enough for the copy to work.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Hokey den! Right now i'm installing GW from my Faction CDs. I was gonna use Nightfall, but my dog picked it up and ran away with it. I dont think my Mac want me to stick a dog slobber covered CD into it. If this doesnt work i'll turn on my PC and put my windows copy onto the Mac. I could always simply play GW on my windows, but after getting a mac i've relieved just how horrid my windows really was....

Oh well, that didnt work. On to the next plan!! Time to turn on the windows and then wait 5 years for my windows to fully boot up! Hmmmm, i seem more optimistic then i usually am! Thats good maybe i'll be optimistic all week, but at the end of the week i'll probably go in GuildWars with drawl...

Sorry the CD didn't work out. I should mention I had it installed (on the mac) via Boot Camp and just copied the file over; if you're copying from another machine the GW installation can get up in the 1-2 gigabyte range. Just something to keep in mind so you have some reliable way to move the files across.

Your right it is a bit big, i couldnt fit it on my 2g jumpdrive so i stole my dads 4g. Hoping it works.

Nope! Oooh well! Any other ideas? Thanks for the ideas already said though. I'm still happy for no real reason, odd

Copy the entire directory off of your windows partition/machine & copy it into a bottle, then use the CrossOver Menu: Programs/Run Command/ to run the gw.exe, put -dx8 -noshaders at the end after the Gw.exe" As per what follows, which is copied from my iMac machine. Don't be confused by the path below, just get the part after the Gw.exe" right.

"/Users/handy/Library/Application Support/CrossOver Games/Bottles/winxp/drive_c/Program Files/Guild Wars/Gw.exe" -dx8 -noshaders

Sorry, that didnt work either. Any other plans of action?

I'm guessing the files are in place properly...are you seeing any error messages (or any messages at all)?

For example:

• the pop-up size "Loading Guild Wars..." window where it automatically downloads game updates.
  • any window quickly opening and then closing

Can you post some details about your system (OS, Crossover version, etc.)

I am using Crossover 6.2. My game used to work but then got to 100% and stopped. kept deleting it and reinstalling it to see if it would work. I wanted to know if i was installing it wrong or if there was a better way to install it.

I am on a Mac OS X Version 10.4.11, Processor: 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Memory: 2GB 667 MHZ DDR2 SDRAM. that what it says in my about mac, dont knows if its much help. Thanks for trying to help me so far.

i dont think i sound to clear in what i said, let me try again! I run GW, the guildwars load update screen thing pops up, that screen loads to 100%, then it closes and the second load update screen thing pops up, that also loads to 100% and says 0 files remaining. That screen just stays there forever. I cant close it so i am forced to force quit Crossover. Am i making more sense, probably not, oh well.

My friend told me to try running it with the -image and see if that worked and then try it again afterward. Of course he doesnt have a Mac, but i'm willing to try anything.

I've heard -image works too, since it usually eliminates the automatic patching. I've never needed it to get it working on my Mac, though.

Did you already try the other switches suggested, like -dx8? The only one I seem to need to get things running is -windowed.

Yeah, ive tried all of the codes except -image, so i felt like trying out -image now. I didnt relize how long it took, its at 48% and i've been waiting for over an hour. If it works ittl be worth it though.

I'd reinstall gw, perhaps it has become corrupt. I'd also use -windowed, definitely -dx8 & -noshaders as well.
I believe something is broken for you to be having this trouble.

Well, i have tried everything suggested and my Mac has defeated them all with its amazing powers. Any other suggestions? I have to go to sleep now, i'll try again tomorrow.
~Voraka

Which mac, complete specifications please?

Which GPU?

Hokey, i cant do that now since i'm in school but in around 4 hours i can post everything

1 to 22 of 22

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiWllISnJxM1duZlJUQUpKdCIsImdkcHIiOjB9