Guild Wars Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Animation/White Screen

I was pleased initially when I had CrossOver Games running smoothly and it managed to boot up Guild Wars. But then on the Log On screen, as the animations in the background were running, somehow, some of the animation left white tracks and soon the whole window went white except for the Logon and Password section. So I was able to log on and load into the game. But the White and distortion followed along as I moved my char making it hard to play.

Although when I pressed M for "World Map" there were no distortions at all.

I was unable to find answers on here just before anyone jumps me.

Bottle: Win2000
I used the command lines: -dx8 -dsound -windowed
I'm running a trial version of 7.0

Oddly even without adding in -windowed it still went ahead and went windowed mode. I was sure I cleared out the .plist and command file. I also tried -dx9 and had nothing and the white distortions came back as well.

If anyone is able to help me, please reply promptly. I would love to buy the official version if this is running well.

Hi,
I need some more information: Are you using Mac or Linux? Which Graphics card and driver are you using? Can you make some screenshots and attach them here?

Okay here are a series of them hope they help out. Please help me out soon before trial version is over Xp
Oh this is a Mac btw. I'm using the integrated video from the Santa Rosa model which should be fine shouldn't it?
I played GW in bootcamp and it was fine no lag or distortions.

These goes in order from good to bad basically:

I tried -noshaders afterwards and had the same effect all the way through. I was able to move around but blindly because some of the images before weren't cleared.

Enjoy though :)

I'm running a Macbook (Nov. 2007) Mac OS X 10.5.2
Display: Intel GMA x3100

I have the same problem.

On the mac-opengl mailing list a bug was discussed some days ago. The Intel X3100 driver fails to honor the negation flag. I doubt this causes your issues since with shaders disabled the same problem occurs...

If you have a Mac we could try out the Remote Desktop so you could see. Unless you have our Macbook version lying around somewhere or someone you know :) But thanks for helping out. You're atleast our light of hope or know that someone actually looking out for us :P Thank you!

The remote desktop won't work. We've tried it before. Here are the things that may happen:

-> The Mac sends the gl commands over the net and my card renders it
-> The GL rendering stays black
-> The software renderer is used

Even if none of them occurs, it is way too slow over the net.

Hi!
As every GW player owning a Mac, I'm very interested by Crossover Games.
But I have exactly the same problem as described by KipKun, screenshots are the same.
I have a MacBook C2D Santa Rosa, 4GB RAM, etc.
I'm running a trial version of the software, and I would have it like to run well before buying!
Thanks a lot !

Interesting I think I just made a minor break through. I'm not confident enough yet so I'm going to test it a few more rounds to see what is up. But I can tell you this thus far, resolution appears to have an effect on the distortion somewhat. Refresh rate I can assume is messed up or something. I was running around with barely any lag at all and out of nowhere the distortions were gone! I was able to see again. Using the resolution 1000x600 (something) since I'm not on, I can't remember the values but it's in that general area. I lowered the visual performance which did nothing as much as I can see. I used the following commands too: "-dx8 -windowed -shaders"

So far I was able to reproduce the result twice only. Out of several attempts.

Anyone want to try it out as well? (I was running for probably 1-2 minutes tops)

But still, I was rather REALLY pleased when it was clear and running so smoothly. I liked it. It wasn't slowing or "jerking" if you will. It was as if playing on a native PC (w/o the crazy frame rates) :P

Edit: I don't know if this happens on the PC or not, when I did windowed mode, the Refresh rate was disabled. Then it was enabled when I adjusted the resolution within the game. Also I noticed that a portion of the lower left corner was clear and never distorted when you move around. If you made the resolution bigger, that portion expanded greatly (up to the chat box size). When you enable the Options menu, everything cleared or when you activate the map as well.

Edit 2: When you make the resolution bigger, there will be two "Default" listed under the Refresh Rate. (beginning to sound like Refresh problem lol which should clear screen?)

Edit 3: Without using the "-windowed" the login screen never distorted! gasps And the area of distortion was lessen tremendously. But still not playable. "-dx9" does nothing.

Edit 4: Ooooh awesome. Okay starting from Edit 3. I did "-dx8 -dsound -noshaders" loaded up. Same result! Fullscreen and I can still see the minimize, close and maximize buttons in the corner. Wonderful. Logged in and it started to distort. Once it loaded, I discovered that by "reversing the camera" the game was clear (as in playable). Some of the NPCs' at time though had the effect of a "Metal Mario" (From Super Smash Bros.). Although if I would to move the camera left or right, it will start to distort making it unplayable until you reverse the camera again. If you click anywhere though, it doesn't happen.

[Here I minimized it so I could take the screenshot of it using the Mac shortkeys.]

Edit 5: Oooh nm Visual Performance does matter after all. If you drag the slider all the way to the left and with the resolution 1024x768. You'll be able to reproduce the effect. Make sure you're in FullScreen without the X11 Window Bar at the top. Atleast now you'll be able to chat lol. Strafing isn't a problem much but it does distorts randomly.

If anyone comes up with anything else feel free to add. I'm trying to isolate the problem but I don't know where else to go now from here.

Mac Leopard OS 10.5.2, 2GB RAM, Santa Rosa Model (in December of 2007)

A user reported on IRC that the 10.5.3 update fixes this bug. However, there's another new or not yet fixed bug with hero amor.

Wow thank you for telling me lol. I've been waiting and eyeing this post for awhile. Yea everything is going nicely now. Just for armor in general looks funky :P And thnx again ^^

1 to 11 of 11

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiSHAzcmRTcnd0VGNQcUNxViIsImdkcHIiOjB9