Guild Wars Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Problem with loading/installing

Hey! I have a macbook pro and I'm having some problems. I have the original Guild Wars and I want to install it. So I opened a new bottle and I installed Direct X 9, and I installed Guild Wars. I went to the GW folder and click GWSETUP.EXE. Then I installed it. It went white, then went into the login screen, I could see it for a second, then it went totally black. I could hear sound playing and I could see my cursor. What should I do?

Also, I don't know how to run it again without having to install it? There is no GWRUN.EXE.... so how do I do that. Lol..

Also, I don't know how to run it again without having to install it? There is no GWRUN.EXE.... so how do I do that. Lol.. Sorry for the double posts. Anyways, I found out how to play it without installing it again. But I still cant enter the game because of that login problem... with the screen going black..

Hi Jake, If you have a look at the Tips & Tricks tab, which is the far right of the tabs at the top of the page, you will see the top submission that states that you don't have to install any DirectX versions for Guild Wars, as they are already a part of the CrossOvers.

If you look at the 3rd submission in on the Tips & Tricks page, you will find a really good submission that shows you how to set up a CrossOver menu item, & give it parameters like -dx8 & others. This will solve both your dx & how do I start it problems.

If you have been playing on another OS like Linux or Windows, you can copy your files over the installation in the CrossOver bottle, which is what I do, as it saves a lot of re-downloading so much of your game gw.dat & the Templates folder including all of its contents are what you especially need to copy. My path to these files on my Leopard machine is as follows:

Your home folder /Library/Application Support/Crossover Games/Bottles/winxp/drive_c/Program Files/Guild Wars/

I use Finder to copy the files into that Guild Wars directory & it works fine, I have done this more than once under Leopard & the same thing, different path many times in Linux when I used Cedega.

[Edit:] I have edited the tips & tricks & added a more refined version of what is written here to the 3rd post.

Run your game with the -dx8 -noshaders parameters & see if that gets you past the black screen?

Jake,

Also make sure that you have all MacOS updates installed!

The shader thing, made it work! thanks alot guys. But one problem. Everything looks so... well... down right ugly. IS that because of the shaders? Can I do anything about it? I have a macbook pro..

Which version of OS X are you using Jake, Leopard with the latest updates from Apple installed?

Also, can you be more descriptive about the ugly?

Which command line switches are you using when you start the game, is it -dx8 -noshaders ??

I played the game with the aforementioned game switches & it looked pretty darn beautiful, except for some dx8 bugs that show up mostly in snowy territory, though they didn't really bother me in game that much.

If you try the -dx9 start switch, you most likely won't need the -noshaders switch, though try it both ways anyway to see.

The game runs great on my Alu' 24" iMac, running Leopard 10.5.2, using only the -dx9 start switch, I get a little lag (it doesn't interfere with game play at all) due to the extra processing that dx9 requires as opposed to no lag with dx8. The game is stable as can be except for the very, very rare (like it can be once in 6 weeks or more) loss of mouse that some people (including me) have experienced.

btw which macbook pro do u have? i'm using mbp 15 2.33 with 3gb ram, and all run smoothly, WITHOUT ANY SWITCHES! using nightfall collectors dvd didnt go well, so i use factions cds, and no problems since then. now im trying to get it runs on my 2.16 imac 24. i guess codeweavers gets my vote this time, and my money too.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiWmcycXRVV2dnU3J2VlRjZCIsImdkcHIiOjB9