Guild Wars Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Transfer GW from CrossOver Mac to CrossOver Games?

I've been running GW under CrossOver Mac 6.2.1 on a Penryn-based MacBook Pro and really enjoying it. I purchased my license last night which gave me access to CrossOver Games. I was wondering, is there a way to transfer the Win2K bottle and my installed instance of GW from CrossOver Mac over to CrossOver Games? Or do I simply have to start from scratch and reinstall? Thanks!

Reinstall Guild Wars onto Crossover Games 7.0 and then copy your gw.dat file over to the new install. This will prevent you from having to re-stream all the game data that you already got from Arenanet. If you put the "-image" switch on the gw.exe command, the game will automatically download all content for GW and all expansions. I did this once and then burned the gw.dat file to a DVD. ;)

Craig, congrats on getting GW running! There was a suggestion of making a symbolic link so that the Crossover Games directory just points to the Crossover Mac installation, which worked perfectly for me:

$ cd ~/Library/Application\ Support/; ln -s CrossOver "CrossOver Games"

That should be run in the Terminal. You may need to delete the "Crossover Games" directory first in Library/Application Support, if it already exists.

Or, if you have the disk space or are worried about corrupting whatever's in the Crossover Mac directory, just make a full copy of everything in Library/Application Support/CrossOver/ to Library/Application Support/CrossOver Games/

Best of luck, and let us know how it all turns out.

if you are willing to drop to a command line you can link the CX office bottle to CXGames using the ln command. Soemthing like this should work :

After the initial Install you can link the data files. Please note i have no idea where on CX office it's installed so please check. An example :

ln -s ~/.cxoffice/win2000/drive_c/Program\ Files/Guild\ Wars/Gw.dat .cxgames/win2000/drive_c/Program\ Files/Guild\ Wars/Gw.dat

Alternatively you can archive your current CX office bottle of Guild Wars and restore it in CX Games. If GW is not installed in it's own bottle you "should" be able to just copy the bottle directory from .cxoffice to .xcgames.

Henti

Don't forget to copy your Templates directory, as the Skills subdirectory has all of your saved Hero builds.

Thanks, all, for the speedy and informative replies. I'll just try installing under CXGames and copying the gw.dat file first. If that works, I'll uninstall the game from CX, as I don't need it in both places.

Regarding using -image on the command line (I'm familiar with that from running GW under Windows), is there a way to modify an entry on the CXGames Programs menu after it's been added? I was unable to find a way to do that. I'd like to experiment with different command line parameters, like -perf and whatnot, and I don't want to have to build a new Programs menu entry each time I change the parameters.

Thanks again.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoidUVOd3FmS3A1VVJzcUt0eSIsImdkcHIiOjB9