Guild Wars Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

wineloader is not responding.

Hi everybody.
I'm posting a note here about a little problem I have.
I'm using Crossover Games for running Guild Wars, and it's almost perfect.
The problem I have is when I launch Guild Wars, just after login in, if i check in the activity monitor, I can see that the process called "wineloader" is not responding.
I don't know if it's linked but I also noted that the fans trigger a lot faster than with Crossover.

Btw,I'm running Crossover Games on a Macbookpro 2.2Ghz, don't know if it helps.

im not sure about the wineloader but regarding the fans, its expected. wether you use bootcamp, virtual machine or crossover the fan always speed up faster than usual. it might have to do with some system files on windows that control the fans. u like it or not, bottles on crossover is "emulating" windows system, and has bunch of dll files in it.

CrossOver does not control the fans, and neither does any DLL running in CrossOver. In fact, MacOS prohibits CrossOver from controlling the fans, as it does that itself.

However, many Windows games including Guild Wars try to render the scene as fast as possible, and as often as possible. That uses up to 100% CPU and GPU time, which causes the hardware to consume more energy and produce heat, which causes your fans to start. In theory, you can limit the game to rendering at max 60 frames per second by enabling vertical sync. More frames per second than your monitor's vsync rate are pointless anyway, since the monitor won't be able to display them. However, setting the vsync is not implemented in CrossOver yet. You might be able to set it using some MacOS driver configuration tool though.

I understand than running a game uses a lot of CPU thus provoke heating and triggers the fans.
What I wanted to say is that using Crossover Games triggers the fans faster than with Crossover, and I was wondering if it was because of this task not responding.

That's hard to answer. A useful indicator would be the framerate of CrossOver and CrossOver Games at the same game settings(dx version, resolution, shaders, ...). If the framerate is slower in cxgames, then there's some bug and the crashed process causes the additional CPU time usage. If the framerate is better, or the fans are only spinning up with the better settings in cxgames, then the additionally produced heat is caused by better utilization of your hardware's resources.

Thanks for the reply.
I'll take a look at the framerate with the same configuration and let you know soon.

Sorry for the delay.
Well the fps is quite similar with Crossover 6.2 and Crossover Games (for me), but the rendering is much better with Crossover Games (specially with the water effects, reflections, etc).
The price to pay is about 2000rpm more per fan... Well, it could have been worse ;)

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiQWhLUGtVa2hSNDU0NVpyMiIsImdkcHIiOjB9