Guild Wars Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

10.5.3 update

So I first noticed that my framerates, and general playability dropped waaaaaay down the second I opened GW after the 10.5.3 update.

Silly me. If it's not broken, DON'T UPDATE!!

So yeah. I've been reading (after the fact unfortunately) about alot of graphics slowdowns regarding the NVidia cards on 10.5.3
I assume it's related.

If it helps at all the Processor usage dropped significantly also. It feels as though OS X is not letting Crossover take as much processor as it can (or used to).

I used to have one core around 40% and the second core up to 60 - 70, now they both go 30%.
The whole thing is quite strange. Obviously I'm not pleased with Apple. :(

Any ideas?

Augh. We've always been afraid of new Mac models, it seems that now we have to be afraid of updates as well. Rant!!!

Can you do me a favor and tell Apple about this problem? Just describe it from a user's perspective, the more reports they get the more likely it is that they fix it. When I have time(quite busy for the next weeks) I'll do some technical investigation and hope to find something.

yup, a little low on fps after 10.5.3 but still playable on NVidia 7300GT (haven't tried on ATI 2600 XT yet) and i get longer loading time as well, like during getting out of outpost or trying to enter missions

A few days later, and plenty of playing around.. I got it working to a playable point at least.
Lowered some settings, changed a few things around, killed off some processes.

This certainly doesn't feel like a Crossover problem, I was just hoping for some insight. :)

I'll submit a ticket with Apple regarding the concern.
Thanks for your time.

@Syahirul: ATi Radeon X1600 on a Macbook Pro under 10.5.3: 30fps average. Some slowdowns in big cities, but full speed even under heavy PvP action.
This does not affect ATi, at least.

Could someone provide details on this slowdown on Nvidia based systems? (links, perhaps?)

Al, if you can describe which graphics settings you changed which had the greatest effect, that might help us when we have to investigate the issue. Thanks.

@Antoine : Yup, I tested 10.5.3 on my MBP as well before running it on my iMac 24" white. But I haven't tested it on my Alu iMac yet (the one with 2600 XT Pro)

After much testing, and spending a week with it or so.. Here are my findings.

After a fresh reboot (general restart, or just coming back from Windows) it's sluggish.
The processors run at 20% each. The system is fluid, but the game is slow as all hell.

I let it run a while, performance improves a little at a time.

At night I put it to sleep.
Come back to it next day, load up the game, I'm getting 60 fps, and it's the smoothest I've ever run.

I can consistently repeat this. Off a restart it's sluggish, after a sleep, if I ran the game before, it runs like a dream.
I can't reasonably explain it, but I'm chalking it up to 10.5 quirks.

If anyone has any insight, I'll take it, but seems it's "working" for the most part, so I'm happy. :)

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiellxZ3h2dTJwRnhOdEN4dCIsImdkcHIiOjB9