Guild Wars Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Blank White Screen, Freeze

Hello,

I just received one of the latest round of iMacs (20inch, ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO 256MB). and one of the first things I wanted to do was get Guild Wars up and running. I have it running on Linux through WINE (on a different machine), so I'm no stranger to the whole process. I figured I'd give Crossover a try and see how everything went -- so please note that this is all with the latest trial version.

The install went just fine. However, once it was complete, the screen switched resolutions (presumably as it entered the game), and hung on a blank, white screen -- not even making it to the login screen. I tried to exit out but nothing seemed to work, so I just hard reset the system.

Next time around, I used the Run... feature and fed Gw.exe various options: -dsound, -dsound -windowed, -dsound -windowed -noshaders -dx8, no combination of which changed anything; it failed the same way in each and every case. (I also tried all of the above with the Win 2000 and the Win XP emulations each.)

My guess is that it's the video card; I've never had much luck with WINE and ATI cards, though WINE and nVidea tend to get along well (on Linux, anyway; this would be my first attempt on a Mac).

Any thoughts on what I could try, or perhaps any fixes?

Hi!

I´ve got the same problem. On the old iMac with the X1600 graphics Guild Wars ran without any problems, but on the new one with the HD 2400 XT it doesn´t work any more: In fullscreen mode Crossover can be exited by pressing Command-Alt-Esc, but in windowed mode I just get an white window and I can´t do anything any more.

I suspect the problem is with the new graphics chipsets. We're looking to acquire one of those Macs to do the necessary testing.

In the meantime, just so you know, if CrossOver goes into full-screen mode and then gets stuck, you don't have to Force Quit it or power down the system. You can press the keyboard combination for Restore From FullScreen, which is Command-Option-Shift-R. That doesn't give you joy with Guild Wars, but is at least less painful.

It works with the nightly builds :)

btw, if you start GW in windowed mode with an old version, the iMac freezes completely up (mouse still movable, but you can´t click on anything)

So, I got the new aluminium Imac 20" 2.4Ghz with the ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO
256MB memory GDDR3 2GB Ram 667Mhz and Leopard.
I've tried to run Guild Wars with Crossover 6.2 with -dx8 -noshaders -windowes in a win2000 bottle.
I got the same problem, I mean a withe window cames out the entire OSX (leopard) freeze (mouse still moving but the only way to quit is, for me, to detach the power cable). I've tried several times, like 10 more or less and in 3 occasions it works! and it do perfectly for some hours without any freezing.
I've tried to press ctrl-shift-option-esc or ctrl-shift-R when it was freeze but without any success.
I hope that someone of you will find soon a solution af this problem and this post help you at least a bit.
i really don't want to power off my Mac in that way.
If I run it in full screen mode seems like the same, it freeze givin me the same white screen (but in full screen).
Same behavior with -dx9 and without any command.
I haven't tried yet to install GW in other kind of windows bottles (XP or 98) for see any differences. I will try in these days.

C'mone, we can fix it! 😊

Ciao
Braian

If your Mac freezes in a way that requires a power cycle to get it working again, it is a bug in MacOS, most likely in the video driver. The operating system should prevent user mode applications like Crossover from crashing your system, even if it attempted to crash the mac on purpose.

That said, we can still try to avoid triggering the bug, once we understand its nature. We're having a lot of troubles with radeon HD and Geforce 8 drivers, and I am currently working on debugging that. Meanwhile I've isolated a number of issues already and reported them to Apple. I could workaround some of them, but for others we'll have to wait for Apple to fix them.

-dx8 -windowed, etc etc etc, and a lot of praying seemed to fix that for me.
I'm running a Macbook Pro with a Radeon X16XX chipset.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiZ1dBV0dmVXJLUlBMbUc5VyIsImdkcHIiOjB9