Guild Wars Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

No sound, bugged heads and disfunctional full screen

Guild Wars works on a Mac now, with some flaws:

The typical dock/menubarproblem where full screen doesn't quite work.
I also get no sound at all, and the heads of the models are bugged. Mostly the har is gone, and on i.e. the Warrior with Knights helmet, has no neck.

I'm not sure what causes this. The "helmets", perhaps? (despite i.e. Knights helm working).

If sound could get working, that would be great.
Oher than that, the game registers DirectX, and thus uses DirextX8 graphic, which is all right. Game's playable in my eyes, if you don't care much for sound.

which version of of crossover? im in the 6.0.1 demo and im still getting the same as i did 3 months ago, 100% loaded and a black screen, nothing more. did you have to do anything?

did you have to install directx8 seperately? please help me!

Please wait for 6.1. We hope to have it out very soon. In 6.1 we have added the ability to install DirectX into your bottle. This DirectX package will fill in some of the gaps of our internal DX implementation.

Sound unfortunately is not improved in 6.1.

I have not tried Guild Wars myself, but I do know we have a ton of fixes in our Direct3D support in 6.1.

thanks jeremey, that sounds great.

magnus, im still curious about how you have it running; ive tried a bunch of stuff

I've been running CO 6.1 beta 2 and 3.

Didn't install DirectX manually as far as I remember (EVE prompted me with this, though).

Not sure if the invsibility thing has to do with the helmets or the hair.
Some hair types are visible, while others are either completely gone, or partly visible (as my monk here on the screenshot).

Entering any other resolution in full screen will just bog the game completely, and show old backgrounds, from ie. CS:Source.
Reverting to 800x600 (by pressing Escape) pushes the menu to the bottom of the screen.

I run a 24" iMac.

How do you run windows app with command line switches in CrossOver?
I managed to run Guild Wars on my MacBook with sound using this command line switches:
-dx8 -noshaders -windowed -dsound
i've done this using the taskmgr and then 'new task' but i don't want to do this every time.

On CrossOver Mac, in the Programs menu, choose "Run Command". In the dialog, choose your bottle, then you can browse to and find the .exe to run. In the command box, add your command line options after the .exe. Then You can chose, "Save Command to Programs Menu" that will make a nice shortcut so you can run it again from the menu.

Jeremy Newman wrote:

On CrossOver Mac, in the Programs menu, choose "Run Command". In the
dialog, choose your bottle, then you can browse to and find the .exe
to run. In the command box, add your command line options after the
.exe. Then You can chose, "Save Command to Programs Menu" that will
make a nice shortcut so you can run it again from the menu.

Thanks!

Little more tweaking (not all of the sounds are playing), few fps more and it will run perfectly... at last my beloved game on my beloved Mac ;)

Guild Wars really works now with dx8. I wondered if its possible to get it run with dx9 features too or maybe in the future? (I heard 6.1 might support install of dx9?)

I'd just installed GW on CO6.1. Runs smoothly, playable, got sounds (maybe not all, I'm not sure). Oh and btw, I'm installing dx9 as well. now I can get rid of my dual boot and virtual machine.

Hmmmmmm, Ive installed Guild Wars fine onto my Mac, but when I go to run the application all I get is a flicker of the log on screen for less than a second, followed by nothing but blackness. (this is on 6.1 btw)

Anything which I can do to solve this?

Dont worry I've got it working 😉

How did you get dx9 run? if i leave out the -dx8 line i get a blackscreen

now that you mentioned it, i just realized that i'm still using the -dx8 switch, although i already installed dx9. so i think dx9 is installable but to run using it, i have no idea. anyone know other switches other than 4 mentioned above that can improve the graphics, sounds and gameplay? i sometime lost the cursor and the game begin to freeze with lost of all graphics except ground while doing quest outside.

What do you have to do to install DirextX 8 or is it just standard in there?

Syahirul Fazly wrote:

now that you mentioned it, i just realized that i'm still using the
-dx8 switch, although i already installed dx9. so i think dx9 is
installable but to run using it, i have no idea. anyone know other
switches other than 4 mentioned above that can improve the graphics,
sounds and gameplay? i sometime lost the cursor and the game begin
to freeze with lost of all graphics except ground while doing quest
outside.

You can use -image switch

-image - Downloads all files and decompresses any compressed files in the gw.dat file. This will improve load time in new area's and get you up to date. During this process it may max out your computer (high cpu and memory usage)

I've gotten everything going well except it freezes in certain places like the Monastery in the beginning of factions. When I run the program without -dx8 i am able to move around in the place once i get in but there are very few details and you cant see the dialog boxes. I tried doing the -image switch but all that happened was that the loading box came up and when it got to 100% it closed out again.

John wrote:

I've gotten everything going well except it freezes in certain
places like the Monastery in the beginning of factions. When I run
the program without -dx8 i am able to move around in the place once
i get in but there are very few details and you cant see the dialog
boxes. I tried doing the -image switch but all that happened was
that the loading box came up and when it got to 100% it closed out
again.

This is exactly what -image is doing :D next time you run guild wars (without -image) all files will be downloaded and extracted - it should reduce lags and loading times.

I will try to check Monastery when i get home.

The -image thing has helped with loading and reducing lag but i am still freezing quite often (Monastary being the only place it freezes 100% of the time) but i also froze the other day in one of the explorable areas. At first I thought that the problem with the monestary was how many people there were but it seems that that isnt it.

I've checked the Monestary - you're right, it works ok until you start looking around - then it freezes. Maybe there is problem with rendering some specific model or something. The occasional random freezes also happened to me - thats the reason it got bronze. :P

and thats the reason im still using the demo version. i'll wait till they fixed these bugs. and btw parallels emailed me regarding upgrading to 3.0 which supports 3D rendering and game support. hope they'll support guildwars as well coz i already pre-order the upgrade. im trying anything i could to make this game works on my macs (except bootcamp. I hate dualbooting)

Syahirul Fazly wrote:

and thats the reason im still using the demo version. i'll wait till
they fixed these bugs. and btw parallels emailed me regarding
upgrading to 3.0 which supports 3D rendering and game support. hope
they'll support guildwars as well coz i already pre-order the
upgrade. im trying anything i could to make this game works on my
macs (except bootcamp. I hate dualbooting)
I don't want to get Windows CD anywhere near my MacBook :)
I prefer to deal with incompatibilities and wait for the next CrossOver version than have to boot Windows every time i want to play GW :D
Don't get me wrong - I'm still running Windows on my gaming pc, I just don't want to install it on my MacBook in any form.

I did the -image thing which drastically cut down on load times, but there is a pvp map (the Nightfall introduced one which is basically a wall on one end and a land bridge that circles around the other) that locks up every freaking time it tries to load. Who knows how many teams I've dropped out of mid-streak because of that freezing. I'm running the trial version right now. I'm very impressed with what I see, and I've learned to live with the mouse. If this one problem gets fixed, I'll buy the full thing immediately.

ALso, I've tried it via parallels 3.0.... lousy. Nowhere near this good.

I'll wait till they fixed the sound, some graphic bugs and constant freezing, then i'll buy the full version. I agree with you, Parallels 3.0 sucks big time. None of my games are playable under parallels (except solitaire)

I went back in parallels 3.0 and plugged in the -dx8... etc settings that were suggested for crossover and got much better results than my first attempt. The game is stable in parallels- sound, mouse, loading maps, etc. However, the framerate I get with 1200 kb of ram dedicated to the virtual OS averages about 7 FPS- which is good enough for a low skill class but anything requiring a hair trigger or healing is just impossible to do well.

I think I am going to hold out until I can see who can bridge the gap first. Parallels has the stability but Crossover has the speed. If they had a love-child, I'd be set. :)

1 to 26 of 26

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiZFI3bVlGYmJuYWZWQ1V0OSIsImdkcHIiOjB9