Guild Wars Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Problems in 6.1.0 (Mac)

In the interest of sharing experiences, here are some problems I've experienced in Crossover 6.1.0 for Mac:

• consistent freezeups in the Catacombs; has anyone else seen this?
  • occasional freezeups elsewhere
  • when changing areas, mouse cursor disappears; moving the cursor over "labelled" objects (other players, NPC's, signposts, etc.) causes the cursor to reappear (I suspect it forces a redraw)
  • no battle sounds; other sounds seem OK
  • apparent texture map problems; some objects (trees, buildings) appear as light rectangles, especially when visually distant

I'm using the command line options specified under "Tips & Tricks".

I've tried running in both a Win2000 and WinXP bottle. Has anyone tried in a Win98 bottle? Any better?

Except for Catacombs those are all known issues (I guess I could update known issues tab :D ).

The problems with trees etc I suppose has something to do with sprites - if I remember correctly there was problem with sprites in any program that tried to emulate DirectX.

I will check the Catacombs, other place that is known for constant freezing is The Monastery in GW:Factions other freezes are rather random.

Steve: When yo get freezes, if you move another window over the guild wars one, does the covered place on the guild wars one change like either turn black or become only landscape?
ClassicGod: Do you work at Codeweavers or are you just really good at computers?
Whomever it may concern: Would a list of places with consistent trouble and a list of places with occasional trouble be productive (including what was going on like if it were a big fight deal with a lot of spells and little details throwing the program off). If it would be a waste of time in your opinions just let me know. Also, if one of the places that is a consistant freeze for someone else works fine for you, say so and if you did anything differently to do this.

So far we have for consistent freezes:
-Catacombs (Prophecies)- don't know the details.
-Shing Jea Monastery (Factions)- as soon as the character turns/walks/anything that makes the camera view shift make it freeze up, but things like talking, trading (if they come to you), and looking at inventory, character info, ect as well as traveling to other places works fine

Occasional Freezes:
Iron Horse Mine (Prophecies) - twice during the loading menu to get in, once during a fight with a lot of characters and spells and what not
Ice Tooth Cave (Prophecies) - when first in the place, running around before the character had come into view

John wrote:

ClassicGod: Do you work at Codeweavers or are you just really good
at computers?
No, I don't work at Codeweavers ;)

We can post known freezes here (eventually I or some one else will update the Known Issues tab). I'm now playing with my 11lvl Monk and noticed only random freezes. Im trying to visit as many locations as i can and complete all possible quests but unfortunately I don't have to much time to play recently.

ClassicGOD wrote:

Except for Catacombs those are all known issues (I guess I could
update known issues tab :D ).

If you're suggesting that there's no value in my listing these issues simply because they've been reported once or twice before, I would respectfully disagree. It's generally very difficult troubleshooting based on anecdotal evidence, but it gets a little easier the more you have.

FYI, I've added the Catacombs freeze to the Known Issues.

My main complaint with the Known Issues tab is that it's not easy to see whether each issue was a one-time problem seen by a single user, or a consistent problem seen by all users. Also, there's no indication of platform or CrossOver version on most of the existing issues. There's not even a date to indicate when the issue was reported. I would think that the most effective solution would be for each Advocate who has experienced the issue to add his/her ID with an indication of the platform/version on which it was seen. Similarly, an issue should not be removed from the list until proven to work on each of the problem platforms.

John wrote:

Steve: When yo get freezes, if you move another window over the
guild wars one, does the covered place on the guild wars one change
like either turn black or become only landscape?

It's black (ie. no further redraws by the application).

I'm not suggesting that. I just wanted to inform you that your not alone with those problems - I'm not a native english speaker, sorry for causing confusion.

I mostly agree with you about Known Issues but i think that Advocate ID is not needed (most people here are not Advocates for the game but they also can observe freezes) I also think that we should keep all freeze-related issues in one article to keep the Known Issues Tab more clear.

If you want to edit your entry and post all known freezes in there.

i just tried running Guild Wars without the -noshaders switch and the heads are screwed up and when you select a character the pictures of the characters are like proxies or something but the game doesn't freeze any more. At least in my opinion, sacrificing a few pictures is fine to get rid of the freezing. none of the images lost effect gameplay.

ok, sorry, now i've been playing for a few minutes and it's getting crazy lag and it's starting to effect the play, sorry guys. What I have figured out though is that if you go up to configure, then hit manage bottles, then quit bottle, then very quickly force quit bottle and then restart guild wars when you sign in a message will come up that say the disconnection wasn't clean and do you want to go back to where you were when is disconnected. If there is a small area that always freezes you, run guild wars without the -noshader switch until you get past that point then do the force quit and open again with that switch. The other thing I have tried is running without the -dx8 switch, this makes most of the things in the game disapear but you can still see your character and there will be no lag so now i'm thinking that all the problems are because there is something wrong with the dx8 or the video capabilities in general of crossover
(without -dx8)

John wrote:

What I have figured out though is that if you go up to configure,
then hit manage bottles, then quit bottle, then very quickly force
quit bottle and then restart guild wars when you sign in a message
will come up that say the disconnection wasn't clean and do you want
to go back to where you were when is disconnected.

Actually, you don't need to force quit. At least, I've never had to. Just quit the bottle, wait for it to re-initialize, and restart the game.

I suspect it's more a function of where you were when you froze (ie. you have to be in an explorable area) and how quickly you were able to restart after the freeze. It feels like you have somewhere around 30-60 seconds to reconnect before the server decides you're not coming back and dumps your play area.

John wrote:

i just tried running Guild Wars without the -noshaders switch and
the heads are screwed up and when you select a character the
pictures of the characters are like proxies or something but the
game doesn't freeze any more. At least in my opinion, sacrificing a
few pictures is fine to get rid of the freezing. none of the images
lost effect gameplay.

Wow! You're right. I was actually able to get into the Catacombs without freezing. I was just about to shut down, so I haven't given it a proper test, but you can bet I will at the first opportunity.

Thanks John!

If you have trouble with lag, go to options then graphic then auto detect, this helped clean it up for me a litte

ClassicGOD wrote:

I mostly agree with you about Known Issues but i think that Advocate
ID is not needed (most people here are not Advocates for the game
but they also can observe freezes).

Advocate ID, screen name, whatever. I just thought it might be useful to have some ID associated with the reporter of a known issue.

ClassicGOD wrote:

I also think that we should keep all freeze-related issues in one
article to keep the Known Issues Tab more clear.

If you want to edit your entry and post all known freezes in there.

OK, I've modified the entry to include the freezeups mentioned in this thread.

John wrote:

Whomever it may concern: Would a list of places with consistent
trouble and a list of places with occasional trouble be productive
(including what was going on like if it were a big fight deal with a
lot of spells and little details throwing the program off). If it
would be a waste of time in your opinions just let me know. Also,
if one of the places that is a consistant freeze for someone else
works fine for you, say so and if you did anything differently to do
this.

how about something like the troubleshooting "was this helpful?" tabs where you get a statistic on how many people it worked for when you read a solution, except a "do you have the same problem?" button. might be helpful for all the great folks at Codeweavers, gives them some numbers on which the widerspread problems are.

I was able to spend some time last night trying the "no -noshaders option" fix that John suggested. Although it allowed me to get in to the Catacombs and complete one of the quests, I was still seeing numerous freezeups. When these freezeups occurred, the game would usually freezeup again as soon as I reconnected, and the only way I could get back in was to elect not to reconnect and just start back in Ashford Abbey instead.

Nevertheless, I think I'll add this to the Tips & Tricks page.

John wrote:

If you have trouble with lag, go to options then graphic then auto
detect, this helped clean it up for me a litte

Tried this once, but it caused the game to freeze. ☹️
I may try reducing some of the graphics settings manually to see if that helps.

I think the problem may just be the video cards in the macs causing everything to freeze up, not anything in crossover. The Guild Wars sight is really specific about the graphic cards that are needed and from what i've seen the only macs with appropriate videocards are the higher end iMacs, in all (maybe not the lowest) MacBook Pros, and the Mac Pro but not the MacBooks or Mac Mini. If anyone has a mac with the compatible videocard (or even a friend with one) could you post whether or not the freeze ups are still happening. I really hope that this isn't it but it's looking a lot like it to me.

John wrote:

I think the problem may just be the video cards in the macs causing
everything to freeze up, not anything in crossover. The Guild Wars
sight is really specific about the graphic cards that are needed and
from what i've seen the only macs with appropriate videocards are
the higher end iMacs, in all (maybe not the lowest) MacBook Pros,
and the Mac Pro but not the MacBooks or Mac Mini. If anyone has a
mac with the compatible videocard (or even a friend with one) could
you post whether or not the freeze ups are still happening. I
really hope that this isn't it but it's looking a lot like it to me.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I have what you would probably consider a "high end" iMac (20" Intel-based iMac with ATI Radeon card) that's only about 6 months old.

That is as far from bursting my bubble as you could be, i am really happy to hear that because i am on a macbook and i thought that i might need a different computer to get it to run. as far as the still freezing goes, have you tried the -image switch before?

Hi. . . I am rather new to the advocate program, but I want to start by saying that I love Guild Wars, and I love Macs, and I appreciate the opportunity to give feedback and, eventually, enjoy one of my favorite MMORPG's on my favorite platform cough mac.

I am currently running Guild Wars under Crossover v. 6.1.0, on a Macbook Pro (Intel Core Duo 2.0 GHz, 2 MB Ram). There are some issues that have already been address in this forum, as well as the "Tips and Tricks" section; however, at the sake of being redundant, I will mention them:

1. In the "Tips and Tricks" section, under my current configuration, I am able to run guild wars using the command line options listed; however, there is a significant dropoff in visual quality using the -noshaders- option. I myself don't use -noshaders-, and GW runs like a charm.

2. Under my current configuration, I am able to run GW with full audio and visual acceleration (by changing the GW options), and have thus far not experienced any significant dropoff.

3. I experienced problems with keyboard support, specifically movement of the game character using the directional arrows (up, down, left, right). Mouse movement was fine.

I just wanted to post my experience, and wonder if any one else has had a similar experience with #3 above?

Monteusz Monroe wrote:

I am currently running Guild Wars under Crossover v. 6.1.0, on a
Macbook Pro (Intel Core Duo 2.0 GHz, 2 MB Ram).

What's the video card in that model?

Monteusz Monroe wrote:

1. In the "Tips and Tricks" section, under my current
    configuration, I am able to run guild wars using the command line
    options listed; however, there is a significant dropoff in visual
    quality using the -noshaders- option. I myself don't use
    -noshaders-, and GW runs like a charm.

When I leave off the -noshaders option the game seems less susceptible to freezing, but I get graphical glitches. A humorous example: the yaks in Yak's Bend have no faces; instead I see the texture behind the yak. You have no problems of this sort?

Monteusz Monroe wrote:

1. Under my current configuration, I am able to run GW with full
    audio and visual acceleration (by changing the GW options), and have
    thus far not experienced any significant dropoff.

Exactly which command line options are you using?

Monteusz Monroe wrote:

1. I experienced problems with keyboard support, specifically
    movement of the game character using the directional arrows (up,
    down, left, right). Mouse movement was fine.

What's your keyboard config? U.S. qwerty or something else?

Hi Steve. The video card that I use is an ATI Radeon X1600. In the example that you gave about the graphical glitches in Yaks Bend, I havent experienced any graphical glitches "in-game" so to speak; however, during the login screen, some of my character models use a a strange armor set, dyed an even stranger color. For example, I have a female warrior character, and I normally use a 15k Knight armor set (from Droks) dyed red; well, on several instances, she reverted to the Pre-searing default version of the chainmail armor, dyed greed :p

I haven't had any in-game graphical glitches; however, the game crashed one time as I was entering the Command Post in the Sunspear Sanctuary (Nightfall). It only did this one one occasion, so maybe it wasn't a Crossover related issue, but more of a network lag issue. . . I dunno. . .

The command line options that I currently use are: -dx8 -windowed -dsound

I have two keyboard sets - both are U.S. qwerty. The default set that I use is the built-in Macbook Pro keyboard and trackpad. I also use the Apple Bluetooth Wireless keyboard; unfortunately, neither works aside from allowing me to enter my username and password at the login screen.

I'd love to know if you have any similar experiences, or if you have any additional tips and tricks or workarounds.

Thx, Monroe

Monteusz Monroe wrote:

The command line options that I currently use are: -dx8 -windowed
-dsound

Which is what I usually use (if I add -noshaders I get less graphical glitches, but it freezes more).

Interesting. Sounds like my setup is fairly similar to yours, but my experience is completely different. I'm using a fairly recent iMac (1 GB RAM) which I'm pretty sure also has a Radeon X1600 card. I suspect that the extra RAM may be helping in your case.

As far as I can recall I'm also using a U.S. qwerty keyboard config. I've experienced no keyboard problems.

does this work in 6.0.0?

Please, I need like forming the bottle at graphic level, because the
game does not work to me, does not appear the screen of introduction
of the user. My computer is a IMAC.

Greetings,

Enric

Hello, i'm a GW player and tryed cross over today. So, it doesn't work.

The computer: macbook pro
OS 10,4,10
intel core 2 duo (2,4ghz)
Geforce 8600m GT

The crossover:
V 6,1
bottle xp.

the matter:
if i launch the game with command line "-dx8" it display an error message and stop.
if i launch the game with "-noshaders -windowed -dsound " or just "-windowed" i can log on, see the characters and load a map. But he never show me the map.... just freeze à 100%

I hope it can help you, and GW will soon fully perform on mac intel.
Sorry if my english was to bad.
Koupa

I'd like to add the following to the list of freeze-up locations, all in Nightfall:

Jokanur Diggings (Misson)
Fahranur, The First City (explorable area)
Moddock Crevice (outpost)
Tihark Orchard (outpost)

Removing the -noshaders option allows access to Moddock Crevice, but Fahranur and the Jokanur Diggings mission and Tihark Orchard still freeze up.

My system: Macbook Pro, 2GHz, 1G RAM, ATI Radeon X1600

1 to 26 of 26

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiWTRjV3RyQnlhVGRtdENXYiIsImdkcHIiOjB9