Guild Wars Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

A Tale of Two Macs

I first attempted to get Guild Wars running via Crossover 6.1 on my brand new Macbook Pro (2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT). I tried all sorts of combinations for this install. The best I was ever able to get was just past the login screen (which looked great and had sound). After logging in, Guild Wars would go to the loading screen for the zone. The progress bar would get to 100% and then the game would lock up. Every time.

Just out of curiosity, I decided to try to install Guild Wars via Crossover 6.1 on my older Macbook (1.83GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM, Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950). I actually got Guild Wars to run successfully on this machine. I created a bottle and installed DirectX 9.0c (from the Guild Wars Nightfall CD) and Guild Wars. Run the game with the recommended flags:
-dx8 -noshaders -windowed -dsound

It works! My theory as to these different experiences is that there is some problem with how Crossover 6.1 is dealing with the new NVIDIA graphics card in the new Macbook Pros. Hopefully this can be solved, because I would really prefer to use my superior machine.

I've now got Guild Wars running pretty nicely on the latest Macbook Pro (2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT). The surprising thing is that it seems to run best with DirectX 9. The only startup flags that I use are "-windowed -dsound". Everything seems to work pretty well, except that there are no battle sounds.

On the opening login screen I need to turn the graphics settings way down or else the game will lock up on the loading screen (gets to 100% loaded and then freezes). I'm eventually going to do some further testing to see exactly which of the graphics settings is the one that when enabled causes the lock-up.

If you check your graphics settings in GW, towards the bottem it shows the direct X version there. I'm pretty sure that'll show 8.1; I've run with the same flags you used, with basically the same results.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiSHFoU3d4S3pVN2FaTnQ5aCIsImdkcHIiOjB9