Guild Wars Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

locking up at start up

Hi.

I'm having some problems even getting Guildwars to run. I've installed the program fine, it did the giant download, but when I run the program, either with the switches suggested, or without, it goes to the Guild Wars "Loading..." screen and just gets stuck there, it doesn't even get to the log in screen.

Am I missing something here? Has anyone else run into this problem?

Thanks!

Anyone still reading this forum?

I haven't found any help anywhere else. I can see the game runs for others, so I'm pretty frustrated that I can't get it to run on mine.

I'm using OS X 10.4.8 on a Core Duo 2.42GHz Intel chip, 4GB of RAM and an ATI x1900 (edited) Video Card.

Could anyone outline the steps for a proper install? Maybe I'm doing something wrong. It seems to install the program with no problems, goes to the site and downloads all the updates. At the end there's a /program files/Guild Wars folder and GW.exe. No matter which of the switches I use, or none of the switches, it only opens a small, brownish/grey rectangular window that has the Guild Wars font at the top, and inside it says "Loading... 100%". And that's as far as it gets. The program locks up at that point and I have to go into Crossover and stop that bottle or force quit the program.

Can someone please help me out?

Thanks!

I just downloaded a trial version with the only reason to play Guild Wars on my MacBook Pro and have the same problem. Any help would be welcome!

We are looking into the possibility that the new graphics chipsets in some of the new Macs cause problems for CrossOver.

If you can lower the DirectX support level down to 7, that may help ("-dxlevel 7"?).

Ford Prefect, what sort of Mac supports an ATI Radeon X1950 PRO? While investigating this very issue about what GPUs are supported in which Macs, I have cataloged those listed by Apple and that card is not in the list. http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Hardware/Conceptual/HWTech_Video/Articles/Video_implementation.html

Hi Ken.

My mistake, it's an x1900 in there.

I tried using your switch as suggested and -dx7.

Still getting the same problem. It's funny, 'cause it opens up the window and downloads and installs updates, but as soon as it's done that, it won't go any further.

this is probably a question which in younger online communities would have the word 'noob' printed all over it but...

how and where do I set flags? I clicked around in crossover but could not find this.

Haaid wrote:

how and where do I set flags? I clicked around in crossover but
could not find this.

I assume when you say "flags" you're referring to the command line switches.

• select "Run Command" from the Programs menu
  • use the "Browse" button to select the executable (/Program Files/Guild Wars/gw.exe)
  • add the desired switches to the end of the command (eg. "-dx8 -windowed -noshaders -dsound" seems to work best for me)

So, is no one else having this lock up issue that I am?

Is there something I'm missing based on the steps I've taken above?

I'm using MacbookPro 2.33, 2GB Ram and stock graphic card and runs well (except for bugged sounds and constant freezing in certain areas). It might be because of your Mac itself. Probably your graphic card. Have you tried with older graphic card, like GeForce 8600 or something older than what you have right now?

Unfortunately, no. I don't have access to another card, but I'll look into that.

It's too bad I can't get this working. GuildWars is the only thing keeping me from being Windows free.

1 to 10 of 10

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiZHNFY0taSktGa212emNlSyIsImdkcHIiOjB9