Guild Wars Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

No GW.exe & minimizing problems.

So it has been multiple years since I tried crossover for gaming and I saw that it supports guild wars now.
I allready use vmware, but playing games via vmware makes games run terribly slow. I also tend to get some ugly graphic errors.

The installation went fine and completed. However, I can only run Guild wars via the setup file I downloaded from GW's site, and not the program itself. I would like to find the main guild wars .exe, but it just isn't on the computer. I found a Guild Wars folder in Crossover, but it only has Guild Wars Web Site and Guild Wars Support Web Site files. While the setup will let me play, it takes about 15 minutes to come up. The next problem is I can't minimize it without having to restart. This makes multitasking a pain. I am always needing to look up something on wiki while I play, and I would prefer to listen to music on the computer and not my iphone.

I am running Mac OS X 10.5.8, 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 4 GB Memory, and NVIDIA GeForce 9400 Graphics Card on a MacBook Pro. I have tried reinstalling, and I always have the same problems.

I just don't see myself buying crossover with the current problems I am having. VMware doesn't run games well, but they are running. If I can fix the minimization problem and open guild wars faster, then I might buy. Guild Wars looks much better and runs faster then on VMware. However, I looked at the list of games supported and the list of games in total, and Guild Wars is the only game I play that is supported. I only play games on my mac when I leave home, and I am only holding off on a PC laptop till Guild Wars 2 comes out. I just don't know if buying crossover is worth buying for myself.

I couldn't find an edit post option.

I was able to solve my problems.

Plus I figured out how to multibox the game.

The only problem I have now is when I go to do something else, I lose the ability to type in the game.
Insight into that problem would be nice.

Thanks.

Mary McCormick wrote:

I couldn't find an edit post option.

I was able to solve my problems.

Plus I figured out how to multibox the game.

The only problem I have now is when I go to do something else, I
lose the ability to type in the game.
Insight into that problem would be nice.

Thanks.

Can you be more specific?

Which version of crossover?
How do you fixed it?
What do you need to do that you cant type in the game?
Have you verified that guildwars is installed in the bottle and you dont start it from dvd?

Greetz

If you're able to type in the game at first, but after switching to another desktop and switching back you cannot, then you're probably seeing an issue where Crossover "looses sight" of the ctrl key, or other keys used to switch desktops or programs. When using "ctrl+arrow", for instance, to switch to another desktop, Crossover sees you press "ctrl", but looses sight before the key is released. When coming back to the program running in Crossover, you'll then see problematic behavior from key/mouse input.

This problem is (mostly) gone on OS X 10.7, but on 10.6 and 10.5 it's very much present. With Office apps holding down ctrl and then clicking in the application window tends to return normal function, so depending on which key combinations you're using to switch away from Guild Wars, I'd try some sort of action similar to that.

I am also curious as to how you solved the original problem, because I can't find the .exe file either, nor minimize the game.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoidEVja3U3VENwOVF6UGR0TiIsImdkcHIiOjB9